Diners Card Dilemma

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by richinaz, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had a Diners Club card for years but now I seldom use it. The annual fee just posted ($95) and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it. I have ~160,000 points so I would need to transfer those first before canceling it.

Any suggestions? Ideas? I guess I could call and see if they would waive the fee or give me some kind of bonus.

I've listed below some of the places I could transfer points to (All are 1 pt = 1 mile basis unless note otherwise).
    Air Canada Aeroplan
    Alaska Airlines Mileage Pla
    AA
    British Airways Executive Club (currently 1,000 pts = 1,500 miles)
    Delta Air Lines SkyMiles
    Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles
    Korean Air SKYPASS
    SAS
    Virgin Atlantic Airways Flying Club

I can get $100 gift cards from Amazon at 10K pts each although ideally I think I'd get better value from getting two (or close to two) business class tickets to Europe or somewhere. Maybe I could try to transfer some points to BA and then sign up for their 100K CC offer and end up with 2 business class tickets to use on one of their partners.

Thanks.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would choose whichever program I had the most probability of using for a valuable reward, so I cannot answer in the abstract. Generally the US-based programs seem to have lower redemption fees, and you have three of those. I would not choose any that have surcharges for whatever awards you're likely to choose. By far the best deals IMO are those you mention, business or FC international award travel. I'd lean to OW (AA) or ST (DL) for that. IME AA is easier to get awards on other OW carriers than DL is for ST, but both work.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    richinaz and jbcarioca like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL miles are widely regarded as less valuable than most other carriers, such as AA. Also, DL award availability in international business (BE) is touch to obtain at low mileage levels with a lot of effort and flexibility. Note that DL doesn't offer IFC.

If you're going to transfer into a carrier based in the USA, I would do AA and aim for an IFC award on CX or possibly QF to Australia.

richinaz and jbcarioca like this.