Diluted EXP Status

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by garyst16, Feb 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Waiting to board 2428 LAX-DFW and there are 28 on the UG list..

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A Monday morning between two hubs? That's not surprising.

TheBeerHunter, edekba, JonNYC and 2 others like this.
  3. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I take it by your post you had not already cleared and are in the list of 28?

DestinationDavid hit the nail on the head.

It's YMMV - and DFW to anywhere direct (not connecting) is tough on Mon AM ESP with a weekend of bad weather in NYC.

edekba likes this.
  4. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's actually LAX to DFW, but still, would be hard to imagine there aren't lots of business flyer EXP flying that route on most flights on a Monday morning. Certainly more than are seats available in F and surely many of the 28 are platinum and gold.

Any Monday morning flight from anywhere is probably not the best barometer of how many EXP there are.

edekba likes this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    And not to mention probably a lot of people involved with the Grammy Awards flying out.

jbcarioca, garyst16 and edekba like this.
  6. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    David, I e never missed an UG on the LAX-DFW route (20 flights a year)....guess I've been lucky

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    First time for everything. :)

Which isn't to say that there aren't issues in the AA elite ranks due to matching and DEQM (though I don't think it's nearly as bad as many make it out to be), and that isn't to say that AA hasn't been competitively pricing domestic F on some routes lately that means people are actually (gasp!) buying F seats.

I just don't think 28 elites on an upgrade list is odd. It's actually fairly common depending on the route and day.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My bad - had LGA not LAX on the brain :)

9. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flight seemed like it was very full. Ive had this happen, the very few times I do domestic. Ive been lucky as being on the list as a transfer (UPG1T) or already upgraded in A, using a SWU before a long haul over to LHR. If I were to go over to DFW from LAX, this would be my choice too, as its a 763. Im sure there were volunteers on this flight on a Monday morning?

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you are at 28 as an exp this really is not a story IMO.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Even if #28 and an EXP, going hub to hub on a Monday morning, particularly the morning after an event (Grammy Awards) at the originating airport (LAX) that might account for higher than average purchased F seats.... still not convinced it's a sign of issues.

garyst16 and NYBanker like this.
  12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd tend to agree - I'd call it the difference between a complete non-issue and an interesting anecdote.

NYBanker and DestinationDavid like this.
  13. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I haven't had any issues personally, I'll be interested to see if people see a change after February 28th. I believe that's when many of the status-matched EXPs would be losing their status if they haven't met the qualifying criteria.

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If they qualified using the DEQM promos, the status should actually be good through Feb 2014. Not sure about the status matches from DL/UA though. I didn't pay attention to what AA was offering on that front.

15. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that is true. My upgrade record does not look good this year (don't have it offhand, but on flights booked I think I'm 5/10 or something like that, got lucky and did a couple of standbys to earlier flights with F availability so I haven't flown 5 flights in economy), but I'm assuming after 2/28 that it should get better. There are A LOT of 2/13 expiring SWUs out there from the UA matches. On TOBB, they're almost worthless in Coupon Connection.

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    And all of the overseas connections that are already in business/first that are connecting through to Dallas or beyond...

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    28 in total? Or 28 in front of you?

18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've been #14 on the list for DCA-DFW as an EXP... Thursday afternoon. And of course that's non-hub originating, so pretty much everyone was starting in DCA (hard to imagine too many EXPs who started at JFK, ORD, or MIA enroute to DFW) so there weren't folks ahead of me because this was their onward connection.

That was before DEQM.

Lots of things contribute to EXPs not clearing.... e.g. when they're selling reasonably-priced first class (I often see DCA-MIA for ~ $100 more than cheapest coach)... when there are plenty of confirmed upgrades being used (whether continuing on from an international flight, or in February especially when there are lots of unused eVIPs being burned rather than going to waste... plus AA is really generous with confirmed upgrade space domestically for miles...

There are routes where people pay F. And where there are lots of EXPs. First flight Monday morning and Thursday afternoons at the end of the consultant work week, and especially hub-to-hub or from major business destinations can be tough upgrades.

None of which signals diluted elite ranks.

I don't have the numbers but I assume that the DEQM promo was pushed out because they were behind projections for the elite ranks as a result of people booking away in October due to the pilot action, plus general bankruptcy malaise.. Maybe we have more EXPs but it wouldn't surprise me if not by much.

mo26 and jbcarioca like this.
  19. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wait until the merger and all the US elites are absorbed into the system....can't wait for the whinning then. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Nah, the whining will really come into play with US planes that offer only 3 rows of first (A319/A320/737) rather than four that we've come to expect with AA!

And that US doesn't serve meals on 3h flights... snack basket, baby!!

mo26, garyst16, John777 and 1 other person like this.
  21. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how close you keep track, but what would you estimate your upgrade % to be in and out of DCA?

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't really keep track but from memory it's very very good (though I understand chances from Dulles tend to be better). I believe I've only missed two in 2012 -- one was a January flight during DEQM when there were still effectively two years' worth of EXPs flying and the ticket wasn't purchased very far out (I missed my upgrade DCA-DFW and onward to LAX believe it or not!). The other was the aforementioned Thursday afternoon flight.

In 2012 I also missed a MIA-DCA upgrade on a Sunday afternoon [last minute purchase when I think only 1 or 2 F seats remained for sale], plus a Sunday late morning SEA-DFW upgrade (where I was next to clear)..

So far in 2013 I sat in back MIA-IAD when I switched from MIA-DCA onto an earlier oversold MIA-IAD flight so was more than happy with my bulkhead aisle and a proactive flight attendant ("You're my Executive Platinum in back this evening, just let me know anything at all that I can get for you. We appreciate your business.")

jbcarioca and John777 like this.
  23. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    DFW-SNA was ridiculous this past Monday am. I was 5th on list and know the guy boarding in front of me was 9 (he was also EXP). So at least 9 deep in EXP and that is AFTER any upgrades given. Plane had about 4-5 seats in F the night before (according to expertflyer).

druiddation likes this.
  24. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    That DCA-DFW flight I described above with at least 14 EXPs on the list was 14 uncleared EXPs after the doors closed, all sittingin coach. And it could have been more.

25. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    28 total after all seats were filled... :(