Dilemma! I want the points AND the discount!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by TravelBear, Jul 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a $2300 expense coming up this week that we can save $300 on for cash payment. I utilize Suntrust and BB for points. This is not a matter of having the cash, I have it. It's a matter of POINTs and saving money at the same time! I am thinking money orders might be the trick but I have never gone that route. PM me or post here with suggestions.

2. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have Bluebird checks, or does a personal check not count as cash to them? If that would work, I'd say use the Bluebird checks. If not, you would likely need to get a MO with your Suntrust card. Walmart is my preferred MO vendor. It's pretty simple, but for $2,300, You'd have to split it into 3 different money orders, as $1,000 is the maximum amount allowed per money order. A Walmart Money Center employee knows what to do, you just enter your PIN to pay for it. It's really easy.

A more difficult option (but for additional points above your typical spend) would be to buy $2,300 in VISA gift cards with a credit card (since you need it sooner rather than later, the Chase GC's probably are out because they need to be mailed to you), and buy the MO's with those gift cards, but you need to get lucky and find an employee who knows how to accept multiple tender at the register (anyone CAN do it, most just don't know HOW).

3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    By going cash we save $300 so the bill would be only $2k so only two money orders. I will likely do the Suntrust money order thing.

4. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about Buying 4 Beans with CC and withdrawing money at walmart Blubird ATM (have to check wthdrwl limits on ATM) but i would go that route.

5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so $2300 vs. $2000. Like servo said, do Bluebird Checks count as cash? I'll assume not.

Lets assume you're getting, what,2X UR points for your BB loads? Seems reasonable since the supply of $500 beans at OD has dried up, so you could use those on something else anyway. So lets assume you're buying beans at 7-Eleven to load up BB. $2300 is 2300x2 = 4600 UR. 4600 UR is conservatively .02 per, so $92 worth. Certainly not worth paying the extra $300 if you can't come up with a trick.

You CAN withdraw up to $500 per day using Bluebird. At the Walmart MoneyCenter ATM you can do this for free. Either everybody can or you can if you did ONE transfer of what might have been an auto-deposit to them from Paypal or whatever.

So you could: withdraw $2,300 over the course of five (5) days, driving to Walmart repeatedly and spending a lot of your time. Likely one or more of these attempts the MoneyCenter ATM will be out of business. You might consider paying the $2 fee and withdrawing the money at another ATM (plus of course that ATM's fees) but it'll probably cost you 5 x $5-ish or $25 for this convenience. Still worth it though.

You could also like others have suggested do 2 x Walmart Money Orders in person. It appears you can also buy Money Orders using the MoneyCenter ATM but it appears limited to $500 per. You may be able to do 4 x $500 in one transaction using the machine though. You'd have to try it or do some research.

Just keep in mind this is all about $92 worth of points. Or actually a little less since that was based on $2300 rather than $2000. But you get the idea...

boondr likes this.
  6. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went ahead and used my suntrust card to do Moneyorders. It was the quickest, and cheapest.

7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a big discount (13%) -- I assume for making the transaction irreversible and/or untraceable. The way you presented, it sounds risky. I probably wouldn't do at all. Of course, I have no idea what this purchase is, so don't listen to me. :D

8. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    HVAC services from my neighbors company. We have used them before on our home and an income property. Not risky at all in our opinion. Lots of services offer cash discounts. It's basically cheaper as they are not paying the cc fee. I also live in an area where bartering is quite still alive. Reputations precede you.

servo and miles and smiles like this.
  9. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that ATM withdrawals are fee-free at any MoneyPass ATM. Look them up online. They're in more places than you may think and that may reduce your need to visit Walmart for your withdrawals.

10. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It also means they have the cash that day and not a week later.

From the Cash angle, couldn't someone just write a BB Check to themselves and take it to the bank and deposit to replace the cash removed?

11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey Ed, thanks for that. I'll try a couple of the MoneyCenter ATMs near me. Nice option.

12. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, wait, wait wait! They're fee-free IF you have direct deposit going to the Bluebird card. Forgot about that...

ANY amount of direct deposit seems to do. (I did $50.) Remember that direct deposit does NOT count against your cash load limit, so you're not depriving yourself of any manufactured spend by adding direct deposit.

13. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, it makes sense now. But 13% isn't the cc fee, prob more like their business tax bracket. ;)