Digital Redesign Update: Uber with United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Aug 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

In today’s United mobile app update for both iOS and Android, we added new functionality to view Uber transportation services directly through the United app, making United the only airline partner to offer this technology with Uber at this time. We are partnering with Uber to offer a relevant and useful ground transportation tool to help make the day-of-travel experience with United even more convenient.

Here are the key details to know:
    • Uber 101: Uber is a dispatch and payment service for taxis and other car services. Transportation and vehicle options vary by each city, but typically range from a taxi, Black Car (sedan), SUV (seats 6 people), LUX (luxury vehicle) or uberX (ride-share).
    • How it works: The new Uber feature can be accessed through the app’s menu on the top left-hand corner, or directly from a reservation card. Using this feature you’ll be able to see the time estimate for a car to arrive to pick you up, a cost estimate for a ride to the airport, and the car types available to you in your local city (most cities will offer options of Black Car/private car or taxi). Upon selection of a ride, the information will be transferred to the Uber app if you have it installed or to the Uber website to complete your transportation transaction.
    • Uber handles the money: When completing an Uber transaction via the Uber app or website you’ll need to sign in to your existing Uber account or enroll with Uber. Payment will be handled by Uber with the exception of one service type in Manhattan (uberT) where payment is handled through the driver.
    • Riding with uberX: uberX is a ride-sharing service through Uber in select cities. Given the different and evolving regulations of transportation services in cities across our global network, Uber and United will only display in our app services approved by each city and their local transportation authorities.
    • Uber is global: This app feature will be available globally, and Uber is currently active in over 128 cities and 36 countries.
    If you’re new to Uber, for a limited time you’ll be able to earn 1,000 MileagePlus award miles when you complete your first Uber transaction via the United app. We hope many of you will find this new feature useful if you find yourself needing a lift, and as always, please send us feedback via the “app feedback” feature in the menu options to let us know what you think.

UA Insider

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent advertising placements for Uber. I'm guessing/hoping that UA was well-paid for that. But I wonder what the value proposition for the customer is. Doesn't seem like much to me.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be nice if there were some miles thrown in for each booking.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uber only pays out the referral bonus for that first ride. So UA only give the bonus miles for that. Go figure. ;)

5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    UberX isn't quite what I think of as far as ride-sharing; that's more in the UberPool category for the select locations.

What's the expiration on the limited time 1000 miles offer?

6. wilkinsonmd

wilkinsonmd Active Member

Status Points:
    The value to me is having a VERY useful app with many travel tools built in. I honestly think the United app is the best thing the company has going for it.

Now if we can just get the same tech-inspired improvements on board...

ssullivan likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And now with Uber ads :)

8. wilkinsonmd

wilkinsonmd Active Member

Status Points:
    I guess I see this as a feature and not as an advertisement. And for that matter, ads are another way for someone to learn about a product they might (or might not) be interested in. But I was a comms major in college, so I'm sure I'm in the minority on the helpfulness of advertising ;-)