Digital Redesign Update: Next up, a new iOS mobile app

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Nov 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

Today, we’re taking a big next step with our digital redesign in the form of a completely new United Mobile App, optimized for the Apple iOS operating system. Some of you saw it already at the latest Star MegaDO, and now available for download in the App Store.

The current iOS app has been extremely popular, with over five million downloads, and millions of unique visits each day. We realize that functionality is one of the main reasons for this. With the new iOS 7 app, we wanted to put those critical features more within better reach, while bringing the app up to date with our new design standards. Here are some of the highlights:

• Updated, consistent visual design: The new app has had a complete aesthetic (and internal) redesign, with a look-and-feel echoing our recently refreshed airport kiosks and the forthcoming new united.com.
    • Simplified navigation: Many functions are no longer several taps away—we’ve made more features readily accessible on and from the app’s home screen and added a “hamburger”-style navigation menu to reach any part of the app easily.
    • New features and updates:
      • Travel Cards: New direct access to your travel information, all presented right on the home screen. You can swipe through the cards to see mobile boarding passes, a travel assistant with departure information that pre-populates 3 hours prior to your departure, and a scan-able United Club membership card.
      • Travel Wallet: A comprehensive summary of your upcoming trips, holding all relevant trip information in one place including upcoming reservations, mobile boarding passes, flight status notifications, and more.
      • An easier way to see all boarding passes for PNRs with more than one traveler.
      • A redesigned seat map, with easier-to-view graphics.
      • The option to book award travel with multiple segments.
    The new mobile app will be fully functional on earlier iOS versions and iPads, with automatic resizing on iOS7-enabled iPads (no more needing to zoom 2x). Looking ahead to future releases, we’ll build on our new design with additional features that deliver a clear, personalized, touch-friendly, and fast experience. We’re also developing an app specifically designed for iPads.

For those of you on Android devices, the current app remains a powerful travel tool, and we plan to release an updated app for the new KitKat operating platform in early 2014. And the Windows 8 version of our app was updated earlier this year to be optimized for that platform--we will continue to make updates to both of these to add new features and align them with the rest of our digital redesign.

Stay tuned for more updates over the next few months, and visit our new digital blog on the United Hub to keep up with our progress.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

adrianors, 8MiHi, bmg42000 and 2 others like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just downloaded, very nice looking app, it will take a while to get used to from the old app, but nice to see new features, club card with barcode is also nice.

Like the look and feel.

freebird likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been playing around with the new app all day and am enjoying the ease of access to my information and reservations.

meFIRST and radonc1951 like this.
  4. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I generally try to refrain from being negative, it rather sucks that Android platforms are having to wait so long for similar functionality.

Weatherboy, NYCUA1K and ssullivan like this.
  5. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blame the disparity in phones that run Android. It's a lot more complex designing for that platform.

Flyer1976, Golfingboy and mht_flyer like this.
  6. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suppose BB10 is a moot point ( not that I have one) but when I was considering it, I noticed UA was one of the first airlines to have an app on the BB10 platform

7. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also notice the GLOBE is missing from the tail of the 737-800.

It appears this app is meant to appease tulip people? or is this a design decision by the United team, publicly acknowledging that the GLOBE is UGLY, therefore we crop it out.

I think both.

tommy777 likes this.
  8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Minority opinion, I know, but....I like the globe because it reminds me of the TWA redesign that included the gold globe. My late Dad was a TWA Flight Engineer 1967-1989.
    [​IMG]

9. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome app, way better than the last one, great features and really user friendly. There is only one thing that I still miss, just a little but I do, the integration of the MileagePlus card to Passbook like Delta did. I know we can access the card from the app, but would be really nice to have it in a single place where it would work like just pulling other card out of my wallet (like the boarding pass).

mht_flyer likes this.
  10. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    Need some time to get use to the new UI but overall promising.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    adrianors and meFIRST like this.
  11. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Noticed, "Where is this flight coming from" gone from the flight status, please add that back.

It would also be nice to be able to view our RPU and GPU balance and along that line request upgrades in the app.

12. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's there, you just click on the additional info icon on the flight status page and it's one of the options.

adrianors and Flyer1976 like this.
  13. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why no club card for passbook functionality?

And I'm noticing that there's no longer the lock screen prompt for BPs stored in passbook a few hours prior to flight. Not sure if that's related to UA or not (I'm running both iOS 6 and 7 and functionality is disabled on both).

Overall the new app is strong once you get used to the new UI. I definitely stress tested it this week and it only bombed out once.

ETA: and 5 min after I post this a flight shows up in my lock screen. I guess there's a big about connecting flights being sorted backwards. Not sure if it was a one off (very complex set of circumstances involved) or if its a widespread glitch. Happened on both versions of iOS.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    adrianors likes this.
  14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Maybe some will see this as nitpicking, but removing my list of reservations from the front page is a minus IMO. I think the previous version of the app was the best amongst the legacy carriers. This one may still be, but I'm not certain it's a dramatic improvement over the previous version. I'll hold off passing final judgment until I've had a couple weeks to work with it.

15. u600213
    Original Member

u600213 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In regards to Adam's original post:" For those of you on Android devices, the current app remains a powerful travel tool"

I agree and if you have any influence with UA management, my 2 cents is don't bother updating the UI, its not the problem. It is lipstick on a pig.

Instead, all IT effort should be focused on the back end so the clicks on the UI actually work. No more clicking on the seat map and getting a "data not available" or something. Or trying to purchase a ticket and being unable to complete the transaction.

Regarding the new IOS app, I just got a new iPad Air and got the new app. It is fine but it only works in portrait orientation, not landscape. This is the same as the old UI, no improvement.

Finally, about the flight status info, be it Android, IOS or united.com: Garbage in,Garbage out. I cannot begin to enumerate the number of times my flight shows as being on time even though the "where is this aircraft coming from?" shows a massive delay.

There are often similar data errors, especially incorrect reasons for delays such as the nebulous "aircraft servicing" or "weather" when the gate agent has already announced they are awaiting crew, or some different excuse. Please have your employees be honest in the data entry.

16. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Passbook.. Good to know I'm not the only one who miss the club card :)

17. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used the batman out of this app Thursday Friday Sat of this week.
    It's nicer looking, but some of the tools are not naturally accessible. The app is clunky with multiple boarding passes--I had a double connecting itinerary, and I had to recheck myself in to get the 2nd segment boarding pass to show up every time I needed to see it...annoying.
    Too many layers to go through to see info about your flight. Also the boarding pass card screen does not show you more than one card at a time.

Overall it looks good and works well, but access to many features is different and in some cases more challenging than the last app.

freebird, Garp74, COFlyerCLE and 2 others like this.
  18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I wouldn't say the update is a train wreck, but it's still less functional than the last version. The newest bug I've confronted is that on the upgrade list I can't see any numbers for "capacity" "booked" or "checked in". Not a big deal today as I'm currently #6 on the list for what I'm fairly certain is only 1 seat. But those details were/are helpful and they don't seem to be appearing for me.

19. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Showing for me on the upgrade screen. Unfortunately for my flight today it's fully booked but still less than 50% checked in. We shall see.

20. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate the new iOS app. In addition to being tricky to navigate, it falls apart in irrops. Delayed flights disappear from the app after original schedule departure time, where the flight is coming from isn't available, and SDC options aren't easily accessible like they are through the Android OS.

Hope I never have to update my Android app

21. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, this is a weird one. The BPs retain for, I think, 12 hours after the flight so you can always pull those up easily and access the flight information from there. Additionally, the app pre-populates the flights you're on for that day in the "flight status" section, which is nice. But yes, they should have a tie-in to retain all functionality until the flight lands at its intended destination.

It's there, it's just not as apparent as in the last version. You have to click on the "hamburger" menu to get it to display. I agree that it should be more upfront and I can only imagine the logic in burying this was due to equip swaps at hubs people were over-relying on this feature to assume their flight was going to be ontime/delayed based on where the inbound was. Of course if that was truly a problem then why make the information available at all?

Agree 100% on this one. The functionality is there but it's buried pretty far down. Not at all a friendly UX.

My other issue in using the app heavily for a few weeks is it takes forever to load information. 5+ second load time to figure out the status of a flight or load a seatmap is unacceptable.

Weatherboy likes this.
  22. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

Wanted to let you know that we just released the first update to the new United App for iOS 7. Here are the most notable changes in this version:
    • Enhanced flight status
      • “Where is this aircraft coming from?”, “Notify me for updates”, Amenities, and “Share my flight” are fewer taps away and are now on the main Flight Status details page below the aircraft photo
      • More prominently displayed departure and arrival times
    • Improvements to the home screen travel cards
      • Cards will now be automatically created for all reservations associated with your MileagePlus account when logged into the app
      • Million Miler and updated badges have been added to the digital MileagePlus card
    • We also removed additional taps or swipes to view additional details in the booking path and labeling details on the seat maps
    As will be the case with all of our new digital tools, this update is just the first of many steps as we learn what we can improve upon with our completely new app platform. Your feedback (yes, really) along with the Apple App Store reviews and the feedback feature on the app itself were instrumental to inform this first round of updates. There are more in the works.

To send "official" feedback on the new app, you can use the “App feedback” feature located on the top left corner hamburger menu listed under “About United”. Or feel free to post it here...just keep it coming.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

Paolo Scuri, Flyer1976 and gaijin62 like this.
  23. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Damn you Aaron, now I want a burger.

24. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Updated to newest version and my flight scheduled for departure on Monday has disappeared from the app. Still visible online via browser. I don't find much of the functionality of the new app "better" than the old one. I wouldn't say it's worse for me, just different. But, with all the bugs I'm quickly relying less on the app and moving back over to the desktop version. Not the end of the world, but certainly disappointing considering UA's app was far better than the competition, IMO.

flyforawg and Garp74 like this.
  25. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like UA updated the Android app today...not the reinvention that the iOS app went through yet but a few cosmetic & aesthetic changes in addition to a note that PQDs will show up next year. I guess that means us Android folks will have the current version for a while longer.