Digital Redesign Update: Mobile App Passport Scanning

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Aug 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

In today’s United mobile app update for both iOS and Android, we added a passport scanning feature for check-in to international itineraries. We’re bringing you this feature in the app to save one step that previously had to be done at the airport to complete check-in.

Here are the key details to know:
    • New check-in option: Upon check-in, you will be asked to verify your existing stored passport data if it’s already in our system, or you will now have the option to scan your passport. You can also use the scanning feature if you need to replace or add a new passport when checking in for an international itinerary. Scanned passports will be saved to your MileagePlus profile (maximum 2 passports issued by different countries).
    • How it works: The camera on your device will be accessed, similar to the functionality of many mobile banking deposit services. The scanned passport will be verified by a third party, Jumio, for additional security and to help prevent fraudulent activity. If the document fails to scan via the app you’ll need to see an agent at the airport to check-in.
    • Passports only: Only passports (issued by any country) can be supported at this time, however, visas or permanent residency cards are being considered for future releases.
    • Processing time: We recommend keeping the app open during the duration of the document verification. Currently it takes on average 2-3 minutes, but may take up to five minutes to complete. This is an initial test of the functionality and we are working to improve the wait time and other performance features in future releases.
    • Don’t forget to take your passport with you: While this new feature will allow you to bypass the kiosk at the airport, remember that you will still be required to travel with your valid passport and any other required travel document on international itineraries, and present it at the airport.
    We’ll continue to test and enhance this feature based on customer and employee feedback. If you have an opportunity to try out mobile app passport scanning and have feedback for us, please use the “app feedback” in the menu options.

UA Insider

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update. I just downloaded the new app on my Android device (Nexus 5 running stock Android 4.4.4) and now any time I attempt to view a boarding pass (such as those for my flights in the morning), the app crashes. I've filed a crash report via Google as well so hopefully the dev house UA uses can take a look at the details. This is a pretty big piece of functionality for me as I hardly ever use paper boarding passes anymore.

3. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh how I wish this feature was available a few weeks ago.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA continues to excel with a full-featured, mostly bug-free app that's both critically important and super useful for the frequent traveler. Kudos UA!

guberif and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Took the words right out of my mouth! I would have had a scan of my passport in my DROID when I badly needed proof of identity overseas a few weeks ago! Definitely a change I can live with...

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm...... Not signed by Aaron. I wonder.....

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's no indication that the scan is accessible to a user rather than the data saved in the UA systems. I keep a scan in my Gmail account for that reason. Saved my bacon a couple times. I wouldn't bank on using this to get through immigration anywhere.

It has been a team - not an individual - for more than a year now. What are you wondering??

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I will see how it works after I install the new app, but if passport scanning is part of the OLCI process and it works sort of like "mobile check depositing", then a copy of the scan may well be available. Nevertheless, since my minor ordeal, I already have redundant copies of my new passport in multiple places...

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hadn't noticed. Guess that clears that up. :)

10. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I have said in the TOBB, my two passports I used actively from 2 different countries always throws the system off. I ALWAYS will get a yellow asterisk at the kiosk, and when I need help, help is no where to be found, because someone in Chicago thinks the app can replace a human being.
    It can't.

If the APP works, well..... I might just reconsider my decision to cut UA flying. But I am not hopeful. I have to basically argue with the staff members at the check in line, and only when they see that Yellow asterisk do they believe me.

This is another excuse to cut staff. I just hope help is available when needed, not only to Global Services people. [ I am 1K, otherwise known as a nobody these days ]

11. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    @UA Insider, app updates are great.

Now, how about that new website?