Digital Redesign Update: Beginning the launch of the new united.com

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Feb 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

Today we’re taking an exciting step forward in our digital redesign efforts as we launch a new beta site that will offer select customers – including many of you – early access to the new united.com. Through this beta program we’re looking to get real feedback from real customers, using the site in real ways so that we can take steps to make smart, customer-driven improvements before releasing to a broader audience. Initially, we’ll start small by sending invitations to select customers via email later today.

For those of you invited to use the beta site, it won’t take long to notice what is new (and what is not). With a project this large, we’ll be rolling the new site out in phases. In our first release, you’ll see a new homepage and booking path. What you won’t see are all the behind-the-scenes changes we made as well. By taking the time to rebuild our infrastructure from the ground up, we now have a strong foundation upon which we can build creative, next-generation functionality and deliver consistently better experiences for our customers (and our employees).

With our new homepage and booking path, we strived to keep the features we know you value (yes, fare class availability and flight searches by fare class are here to stay), while also adding brand-new functionality you’ve been asking for. Here are some of the highlights:
    • Expanded "expert mode": Fare class availability is included in the details section for every flight.
    • Filtering and sorting: You’ll now see a far greater number of flight results. You can then use the sort and filter features to narrow down the results based on what’s most important to you (e.g. price, schedule, carrier, connecting cities, and amenities such as Wi-Fi and in-seat power to name a few).
    • Upgrade availability icons: Color-coded icons will display next to flight results for RPUs, GPUs, and Mileage Upgrade Awards to indicate if you can confirm at booking, waitlist, or if they are unavailable.
    • Improved Instant Upgrades: If booked in an eligible fare class, the instant upgrade prompt will appear on the seat map page.
    • Recent searches saved: We’ll remember your recent flight searches to allow for quicker shopping next time you visit the site.
    For those of you who receive an invitation to access the site, we look forward to hearing from you. Please give us your feedback directly through the [+] Site Feedback link that you’ll see on the right-hand side of every page. For those who do not receive an invitation (e.g. were not previously part of the “preview program”), we’re anxious to expand our beta audience and will be back in touch once we move into the next phase of the rollout.

UA Insider

IDGflygirl, ducster, 8MiHi and 15 others like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see Denmark in the list of countries in the pull-down list.

:)

davef139, akcae, SYD and 13 others like this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    New features sound great especially the upgrade availability icons, can't wait to see this.

uggboy likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds quite promising...Woah! That was fast! I have just been invited to preview the new site!

UA NEW SITE.png

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    8MiHi likes this.
  5. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't get the email, and the "old" preview address that we always used isn't working for me. :confused:

COFlyerCLE likes this.
  6. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, seems like preview.united.com is still non-working and no other email. I'm looking forward to seeing the new site though.

Newscience likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a glimpse. Front end has the look of a smart phone app...I will report on the "feel" after I have played a bit with it. The back end, like "My Account", is still the same as the current site...

UA-BETA-SITE.png

8MiHi and mht_flyer like this.
  8. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like access to preview.united.com is insufficient to see the new beta site :(.

9. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bought a ticket on new website: (love the one way A up fares lately for BOS-EWR 145all in :) )

Observations:

1) they put in your full name now instead of middle initial when it books - I,e. FirstnameMiddlename LastnameSuffix
    2) the payment process failed, I bet some thing with the visa security maybe?

3) reservation was saved but not paid, went in and resv page looks like old website (guess haven't coded that yet).

4)checked first to see if they preauth'd card on failed attempt, they didn't so I went and paid and it ticketed.

5)took a couple tries to get seat assignment but got it to work.

10. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dislike some of the lack of contrast between the mid-gray text and the white background. Like the ability to change the main page background image.

11. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also tried a multi destination BOS-SFO-HKG/HKG-SGN/SGN-HKG-EWR-BOS and it didn't like me doing that very much....

12. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very Microsoft Metro :p

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are they going to fly you on a beta plane, too, then? ;)

viguera and mht_flyer like this.
  14. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I definitely like the old site better than the new one.

some issues:
    1. Unable to see aircraft type (unless you click through the seating chart);

2. Data is not really easily visible....
    It is a lot easier to go through a booking on the current UA.com and find whatever info you need.

3. fares are shown one-way at a time for per passsenger.. So you cannot really find out what is the total fare until you pick the return segment. This is definitely a loss as it will require more time to figure out if UA.com is cheaper than the competition (perhaps that was the goal of doing it this way?)

theBOAT and IDGflygirl like this.
  15. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award ticket search yields tons of results that the old web page would not (like changing airports, etc) I did a one way seach SAN-EWR and had 4 pages of results, including a saver that required changing from IAD to DCA.

16. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    Overall it was easy to figure how it works for the first time and it has a good look.

I noticed some of the text is very large and some are small. I do have a good sized desk top monitor and it's at 125% zoom so the smaller fonts may be an issue with many with senior eyes or on screens on portable devices.

I do have some comments that others have mentioned.

The lack of aircraft type is something I've always found to be useful. I've never been a fan on how other airlines feel that information should be hidden until the last moment. You can guess at what the aircraft type is by the operator, i.e. ExpressJet, etc., and amenities, Live TV.

The famous message of the LCC's. "Fares are each-way, per person, based on a roundtrip purchase and include taxes and fees."
    Let's not play games and just be upfront and honest.

I can see the color contrast being an issue, especially with a very quickly aging population in this country.

IDGflygirl, snod08 and FortFun like this.
  17. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    very similar style to their app

NYCUA1K likes this.
  18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, the new site has the look&feel of a smart phone app, which is really smart considering how inseparable flyers and their phones have become. Having a similar interface across platforms or devices makes a lot of sense...

I just used the new search engine and I like it a lot because it is much more informative. The new feature that allows flights to be sorted by certain characteristics is also a time saver. One can do something that is like a wildcard search by specifying very little other than the destination to get a huge listing, which can then be examined using the sort feature without the need to do another search for each new criterion.

I searched for revenue and award tickets and both the input and output were quite intuitive.

For award travel, I went straight to something that has been bothering me since last fall: It seems that SQ no longer participates as a *A partner in offering award flights within Asia. I searched for award tickets for SIN-MNL and SIN-DPS which I had failed to find on SQ last year and the year before, respectively, and I still found nothing. The only *A awards offered are on TG, but because one must first return to TG's hub at BKK, what is supposed to be a quick direct flight out of SIN turns into a 10+ hr flight. I also searched for SIN-HKG and only UA (standard award) and TG (saver award) showed award availability. SQ offered nothing. I am convinced that something is going on with SQ and it is worth watching...It may simply be a rift between UA and SQ, in which case SQ awards may be available from other *A sites...

mht_flyer likes this.
  19. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    anyone else think the new site was gonna look something like this?

[​IMG]

akcae, bmg42000, chrislacey and 3 others like this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That United logo with the white background in the upper left hand corner looks amateurish. (I am not talking about the globe itself)

Captain Oveur and Sammich like this.
  21. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA intentionally removed SQ award searches from their website a few months ago. Space is available - you just have to call to book it. (You can of course use other *A search tools to find it, such as NH or AC.)

UA quote: "I wanted to give you an early heads up about an upcoming change to the Star partner award availability you see displayed online. Singapore Airlines and United have agreed to remove Singapore Airlines inventory from our award flight search results on united.com and on the United Mobile App. This will take effect starting tomorrow, December 13, You will still to be able to book and change award reservations involving Singapore Airlines by calling our reservations lines."

SQ quote in response: "Each Star Alliance member carrier may choose how to fulfill such redemptions differently, which we have no influence over."

ssullivan, NYCUA1K and Garp74 like this.
  22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank for this info, which I must have missed or simply forgotten about. I think with that announcement something that had already been happening in the background just got brought to the foreground because long before the announcement, I had already noted the shenanigans with SQ award availability in UA searches somewhere on this board. It must be like Skypeso members feel after DL yanked the award charts: helpless. :(

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  23. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realize that once one accesses the beta site, they no longer have access to the current site!:confused::mad:
    Looks like there are some glitches with the award searches as results are not coming up at all!:eek:

Sammich likes this.
  24. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You also can't leave feedback if you're browsing with Chrome @UA Insider

25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Access to the current site is gained by going to MileagePlus (rightmost item in white font) and then selecting My Account (underlined under Earning and using miles):

upload_2015-2-12_10-5-33.png

I suspect that many of the other selections would simply take one to the current site.

The results of award searches came up just fine for me, so may be a case of "user error"?;)

Attached Files:

Sammich likes this.