Digital Redesign Update: A First Step, With Airport Kiosks

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Sep 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

As you’ve heard (and been expecting!) for quite a while now, we’ll soon embark upon a complete redesign of our digital channels, including the website (seen any commercials lately? ;)), mobile app, airport technology, and more. I wanted to let you know about a first step we’re taking on this journey—a streamlined and refreshed airport check-in kiosk look-and-feel that will start to appear for in-service tests over the next few weeks.

Currently, the pages you see when you check in at a kiosk all vary widely in terms of the visual layout, navigation, fonts and graphics. What we’re doing now is introducing a more consistent “baseline” look-and-feel, which will set the stage for deeper changes. Here are some of the highlights:
    • Updated, consistent visual design: We’ve aligned the layout and format across each screen, in a way that fits with a much bolder redesign of our app and website later this year.
    • Simplified page flow: We’ve combined a few pages to make the check-in process faster. For example, that question asking you if you’re traveling with someone under 13? That doesn’t take up an entire page anymore (and next year we aim to automate that process and eliminate the question entirely).
    • Customized graphics: If you’ve ever spent more than a few seconds trying to figure out how to swipe or scan your passport, you’ll appreciate that the graphics for this and other actions now correspond with the specific kiosk type.
    As we do with all kiosk updates, we’re doing live tests in a few airports to ensure the kiosks function correctly and are stable, before we roll out to the entire system. This in-service test phase starts today at just a few kiosks in Denver, Houston, Austin and Cleveland. Over the next few weeks, our testing will move to a few more kiosks in Los Angeles, Portland (OR), Newark, Chicago, San Francisco, and Washington-Dulles. All kiosks system-wide are scheduled to be updated by mid-October.

Looking ahead to 2014, we’ll continue to update the kiosks with new software and other “internal plumbing” which will set the stage for additional design and functionality changes. In the meantime, we’ll keep you updated on everything else—there’s a lot more to come.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

bmg42000, FlyingFree, NYCUA1K and 6 others like this.
  2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that quick glimpse of a website with United banner that doesn't look like anything you currently have on a guy's tablet in one of the ads. Nice little sneak preview there.

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  3. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    I predict scavenger hunts to locate the updated kiosks... ;)

Misplaced Texan and mht_flyer like this.
  4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I probably won't see one for months. Who needs a kiosk when you're carrying on your bags and have a smartphone? Kiosks are so 1999 at this point. ;)

5. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is true. Though with iOS7's handy random reboot feature I almost got caught in need of a printed BP on Monday. :)

flyforawg likes this.
  6. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pics please....someone....anyone...

mht_flyer likes this.
  7. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Waiting for the obligatory post on "when is my issue going to be cleared up."

meFIRST likes this.
  8. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    TOBB is offering cookies to the first person posting pics.....

edcho likes this.
  10. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aaron, one of the features I miss that went away with the merger, is the ability to scan my then Continental Platinum Elite Card with the bar code that was printed on the back, at the kiosk. This effectively allowed me to by pass the hassle of entering my then OnePass number. I scanned the bar code and instantly my itinarary was brought up. I still keep my old Continental Platinum Elite card (and the bar code at the back) for this purpose. Some of the legacy kiosks still accept the bar code.

The United Premier 1K card has no bar code at the back, but instead, relies on a flimsy magnetic stripe at the back, that doesn't always work.

11. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will the re-designed chickens still be offering ToD'$ to non-status pax while elites who have been waitlisted on their upgrade for months still haven't cleared?

12. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's safe to assume the redesigned chickens will be set-up to increase ancillary revenue.

I just hope they find a way to integrate the upsells into the process a bit better. No I don't want to buy miles and I really don't need to see that screen everytime I use a kiosk.

13. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm totally going looking for them at DEN on Friday. :) Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

FortFun likes this.
  14. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Go check out TOBB. They have that in spades.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

15. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:

have it here too.

16. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey hey... don't knock! Those are some special cookies made by me! ;)

17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree as far as technology goes.

However, it's likely United is looking at this as a way to further reduce labor costs at check-in counters.

18. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The kiosks achieved that long ago. I'm not sure how much more they could cut it. When I do visit a counter, they seem to be staffed to the bare minimum already.

19. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree it cut out a lot of staff a long time ago. I'm guessing they're adding more functionality to the kiosks to reduce further the need to interact with a human. I can't offer specifics, I'm just speculating.

20. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They could whip up some of those sexy automated bag check gizmos that QF uses. I like those.

Phudnik and Wandering Aramean like this.
  21. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm totally fine with this. I'd far rather deal with automation than a person unless I have a problem that requires creative thinking. For anything else, I like the machines. Then again, I married a cyboarg.

ssullivan likes this.
  22. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. The humans at the check in counter are usually slower, too.

Flyer1976 and Misplaced Texan like this.
  23. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be nice if we could add companions to the upgrade list from a self-service option. It's always roulette at an airport trying to find an agent willing to do it.

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And print a gate pass if you're a UClub member.

25. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or, as Mackieman and I discovered yesterday, an agent who actually does it when she says she did.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.