Digital peepholes? In-room computers? Hotels on the cutting edge

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Oct 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

With electronic frills being the draw of the day, which hotels are the most high-tech? Online travel site points to gadgets and amenities like responsive lighting and TVs embedded in bathroom mirrors that rank these trendsetters ahead of the curve.

Forget peepholes: Four Seasons Silicon Valley in East Palo Alto, Calif., has replaced door peepholes with in-room LCD displays of whomever is knocking at your door. Oh, and they offer printers in each room along with Wi-Fi options too.

Forget room keys: Blow Up Hall 5050 in Poznan, Poland, issues iPhones to guests that guide them to their rooms. But not everyone may feel comfortable at this hotel: "The place is half interactive art project, half high-design boutique hotel -- guests in its stylish public spaces are monitored on video, and their images are incorporated into a real-time video installation," according to Good to know.

Read More:,0,7259559.story
    Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Andy Warhol would be proud, I'm not sure " we want to be monitored " and " give up privacy " at all times. The Human Art Project. While art is great in hotels and yes, can be very enjoyable, I don't know about " observation of guests " and " the guest being the artwork themselves ". Food for thoughts.
    sobore likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

I suspect that if you really want to enjoy the very latest gadgets and have access to all the bells and whistles possible today while staying in in the trendiest hotels, head to Las Vegas! I stayed at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas 8 years ago, and they had television-in-bathroom-mirrors and electronic locks back then! :cool:

Here's a link to an article from CNN Business Traveler that examines high-tech hotels, and starts out by mentioning the Las Vegas Aria at CityCenter: