Different offer for Citi TY Preferred

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by harvson3, Apr 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have big spending in the near future in a category that doesn't usually earn more than 1x points....

If you could use more Thank You Points quickly....

If you could transfer these points to your ThankYou Premier card for 33% extra redemption for airfare...

there's a sign-up offer for the Citi Thank You Preferred that none of the major blogs mention.

It's here: https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-thankyou-preferred-card/

5x points on ALL purchases for six months, then a regression to 1x points on all purchases. No annual fee. Offer expires May 3rd. More discussion on this at Fatwallet. It's very similar to an old AARP card deal that Citi (?) had.

This is a better offer than the 25K bonus on the Preferred if you spend more than $6250 in the bonus period (i.e., the first six months). You'd have to spend much more to beat the Citi AA and Citi Premier bonuses. It might be a good supplemental card in a churn for some people.

Disclaimer: I earn no referral money from that link. ;)

Scottrick likes this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aren't there still some 50K bonus offers out there? I would think that is still a better deal.

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really depends on your spend. At around $2200 spend per month they are the same. Anything beyond that and 5points offer gets better very fast.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think my confusion is that I thought you were promoting an offer for the Premier card, but it's actually for the Preferred card, which generally has a lower bonus. I think you and I can both agree this strategy only makes sense if you already have a Premier card.

With your Preferred card offer: If you're getting 5X points for 6 months and you spend $2,200/month as you say, that's $13,200 for 66,000 points.

With the bloggers' Premier card offer: If you take one of the offers for 50K points after spending $2,500, then that's $2,500 for 52,500 points.

5. PinnacleJew

PinnacleJew Active Member

Status Points:
    Still may be worthit as a churn. Is there a way to obtain/redeem premier-level flight points from thankyou points earned via preferred card spend (assuming one has both cards and one jointly-linked thankyou account)?