different fare classes for MileSAAver vs AAnytime awards?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Sweet Willie, Jan 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently ran into some irrops on an AA flight and was wondering.

Are the fare classes different for the two awards that AA offers? Am I assuming correctly that if two pax were exactly the same yet one was booked on a saver & the other on an anytime award, would preference be given to the pax booked on an anytime award?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, Sweet Willie,
    I can provide some general information about the difference between MileSAAver and AAnytime awards. When we used our AAdvantage miles to book flights from the East Coast to HI, the MileSAAver option have always included more flights (e.g., 3-4 flights vs. 2 flights) and not-so-convenient departure times to get to our destination, versus the AAnytime option. Other than that, there shouldn't be any preference for seating, bumping rights, etc. It will be interesting to hear other Milepointers weigh in on this. :)
    I'm also willing to bet that a phone call to the good folks at the AAdvantage Award program (800-882-8880) would get a definitive answer for you. ;)
    Newscience

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they are booked into different fare buckets. Whether that affects IRROPs handling is something I cannot answer other than to say that it should not, but I don't know how it is actually processed.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. "Anytime" (double miles) first class awards book into F, "Saver" (low miles) first class awards book into Z.

While on a Z ticket, in IROPS, you'd be able to pick any AA-operated flight with availability, when AA is working on re-accommodating pax (which they will do), status and fare category will be factors in who gets attention first.

To be clear, if you are on a Z and face weather or mechanical IROPS, you can pick any AA flight available with a reasonable routing, regardless of if Z is available. However, when AA starts sorting through who to help first, be sure they'll start their work based on fare class and status.

(This was confirmed to me in the LAX FL last weekend!)

5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, NYBanker (and Sweet Willie for asking this question)! As you state, "fare class and status" are everything to AA (and other airlines). We had SNAFUs with our MileSAAver award bookings last year, but the AAdvantage folks helped us out, perhaps due not a little to my wife's AAdvantage gold status. Otherwise, I suspect that we might have been out of luck. :(

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you faced IROPS due to weather, mechanical or crew issues, you could move to essentially any AA-operated flight. Fare class and status don't impact that benefit...just the order in which AA works through each pax on the plane.

As a PLT on an F (double miles) ticket on a three-class plane that was cancelled, I was rebooked very quickly, but the routing and timing wasn't to my liking. A half an hour with me and the FL agent in LAX looking for permutations, I ultimately found a routing on ExpertFlyer, which I was working on my iPad standing at her station while she was searching on her PC.

I got the lounge agent to book me on an AS-operated AA-codeshare flight up to Seattle. Not sure if this was within their guidelines or not...I pointed out there was AA tickets for sale, and that I'd like four of them...which she obliged.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't pax that are top tier AA status then higher fare classes be worked through before other pax? (I'm asking for clarification as it seems to me you are stating that AA simply starts looking at a plane in general, not picking out "more deserving" pax first.

Newscience likes this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYBanker, let's face it, in this instance, your PLT status on an F (double miles) ticket certainly helped your case! Status talks, and lack of status walks, insofar as many airlines are concerned. As with many others, I'm looking forward to learning how my US status will be integrated into the "new AA" in the coming few years.

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. That is what I'm saying. Everyone gets whatever flight they want (as long as seats are open)...but when AA starts going through and pro-actively rebooking people (often even before you get to a telephone or airport agent), they start at the top (by status and fare class) of the list. Being looked after first is valuable, as seats on other flights invariably fill up quickly when you have an entire flight looking to be re-accommodated.

This isn't a secret.

What I don't know is how AA prioritizes between status and fare class when pro-actively re-booking. I'm sure there is a formula.

Have EF is a valuable tool in these situations, because having information is half the battle.

Sweet Willie and Newscience like this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    For sure. :)

Newscience likes this.