Different Base Points Earned on the same rate

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by TAHKUCT, Dec 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at the same property for four different one night stays for $87 per night plus taxes and fees. Checked my account and noticed that I received 413 base points for one night, 420 base points for another night and 435 base points each for another two nights.

How is it possible? Same rate, same taxes, same total :confused:

2. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hello Tahkuct!

Thank you for sharing your concerns of your past stays and the eligible amount of points you received on you Hyatt Gold Passport account. Any incidentials being charged to your room such as dining for example maybe making the points different. If you did not use any hotel incidentials, I am more than happy to look into your account further to see why there is a difference in the amounts. Please direct message us your Gold Passport information. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Warm regards,
    Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

TAHKUCT likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was staying regularly with Hyatt,I was glad if *something* in the right order of magnitude posted automatically. It was the days of the Gx bonuses, so I usually had to follow up to get the points corrected.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  4. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find the problem of inconsistent postings very annoying. It happens more than it should, and is exacerbated by the fact that since Hyatt folios have started to display a "qualifying / eligible spend" summary on the bottom of the folio, it makes it difficult to "follow the math" since the qualifying spend usually does not equal the eligible charges listed on the folio, especially when there are incidental charges on the folio.

Though I suspect in the case of @TAHKUCT he didn't have any incidental charges.

I finally figured out that the eligible spend (say for dining or bar charges) must include only the pre-tax, pre-tip portion of the charges, and not the total charges which are listed on the folio. The only reason I was able to deduce this was because prior to a recent Hyatt check-out, I had asked to review an information copy of my folio. Then I ate in a Hyatt restaurant. At check-out, I noticed that the difference in the eligible spend amount listed between the two folios increased only by the pre-tax/-tip dining amount.

Because one does not usually get a copy of the dining/bar receipt when charging back to the room, and because the folios do not break out the pre-tax/-tip amount on the folio, it makes it extremely difficult to work backwards to determine if the eligible spend amount listed is indeed correct.

Quite frustrating, and a situation that would seem to be ripe for an easy fix.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jetsetr,

I did not have any incidental charges on the above mentioned stays. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge acknowledged a system problem and will be looking in to it. However, I hear your frustration and I have also experienced incorrect base point earnings on several previous stays.

6. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with @HaveMilesWillTravel. Life's too short to worry about 9 point difference in base points when one has to worry about Diamond amenity, bonus points, or even complete stays posting correctly every time.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME the math is often wrong when Hyatt points are calculated.

8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree completely. That's why I have never contacted gold passport regarding those small discrepancies

9. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't worry about the small discrepancies. But when a bigger discrepancy arises, I roll all of the previous "point shortages" up into one larger lump-sum request.