Differences in Star Gold Baggage Allowances between US and Others

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Art234, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It was recently brought to our attention that US baggage allowance policy for Star Gold members differs from UA/CO and other Star carriers, with regard to weight. While most carriers permit Star Gold 3 bags totaling 70 pounds regardless of class, US allows 3 bags and 50 pounds total in coach class, while First/Envoy customers are allowed 70 pounds.

We reached out to US management for official confirmation, and they stated that Star regulations require them to allow 3 bags, but they are free to set their own weight limits for free baggage allowance.
    They admitted they have heard from a number of customers with regard to this issue, but maintain that they are free to set their own weight limits.

Therefore if any of you are Star Gold and flying coach on US, please be aware of this policy which differs from other Star carriers....

2. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention.

The baggage information on US's website is as clear as mud. The only thing on it that references any Star Alliance status is that they are exempt from the 1st & 2nd bag check fee.

3. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the info. I never thought about this before, but then again I travel light.

4. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    A little truth-bending by US, *G is about an extra bag or extra weight.

5. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Always be an informed consumer. Star Alliance's site for golds provides:

• Extra Baggage Allowance2 - an additional 20kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies, or one additional piece of luggage where the piece concept applies.

Footnote 2 (which may not be relevant to the current analysis) says:

Please contact your Star Alliance airline for further details.

This indicates to me that a carrier has the option of providing additional weight OR and additional bag, but is not required to do both. It does beg the question of whether "one additional piece of luggage" is in addition to zero, one or two pieces, but perhpas we should not point that out to US.

6. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    This reference guide does indicate different allowed weights (by class; by status) for different *A airlines:
    StarAlliance RefGuide

Starts around pg 66.

7. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does this effect *A "partners"? I'll be using Jet Airways to go in between a couple of cities while in India. I am carryone only however this might change due to purchasing of souveneirs. Does a * gold receive 1st and/or 2nd bag checked free on partners?

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've already decided not to fly US again after this recent trip to Spain (for reals this time).

9. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    US uses a Piece Concept, so the required *Gold allowance would be whatever the base allowance is + 1 piece.

While they were correct in stating that it's up to them to decide on the maximum weight, that weight is per [allowed] piece, so with 3 pieces you can check a total of 150 pounds (50 x 3).

10. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Jet Airways is not a Star Alliance member, so the *Gold benefits do not apply.

11. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was afraid this would be the answer...oh wel :oops:

12. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    They would provide benefits only if they have an agreement with your particular program to do so.

13. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did something happen on the flight?

14. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not like US really has to do anything special considering the low bar they have for a lot of their service.

15. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with that. :cool:

Was just wondering if something happened on the flight. Taking US to MAD next year, so was gearing myself up for it. :)

16. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    catgirl likes this.
  18. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am traveling with my parents Bos-Bom via fra/muc on LH in feb. My question is would my parents be allowed to take extra bag? I travelled with my wifenlast year on Singapore to icn and sin and was allowed to do so. Tried looking on *A website but no clarity. Any help in this matter would be helpful

19. trooper
    Original Member

trooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are *Gold and your parents are on the same PNR (or even different PNR but same flights) then IME it is at least likely you will all get the higher allowance (US, UA and NZ have all allowed the extra bag for non-status folk travelling with me).. I have no specific info on LH.. sorry....but would hope the situation would be the same there...

I suppose it depends on which airlines one uses routinely... but based on my "usual" travels I would suggest it is no longer true to say "most carriers permit Star Gold 3 bags totalling (sic) 70 lbs"

Presumably the OP meant "each of up to 70 lbs" ... IME the 50lb/23kg limiit is reasonably widespread these days...

20. scott6067
    Original Member

scott6067 Silver Member

Status Points:
    US is now only giving two 50 lb bags for *G and their First and Envoy class pax. Sad indeed that US has gone this route.

21. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is quite right, of course. However, as a Skyteam Elite (AF Platinum) I am entitled to 100% extra baggage allowance on Jet, although I have no status at all on 9W. So it may be worth checking with Jet if they have any extra allowance for your specific Elite status (*G is a generic status and the OP needs to refer to the specific FF program that the OP belongs to).