Difference in Sign-up Bonus for Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by OceanTrotter3, Mar 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi there, I have a question in regard to the sign-up bonus for Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card.

I have only started collecting Marriott Reward points. And a few days ago, I signed up for the card, which at that time shows a 50k bonus points for spending $1,000 in the first 3 months.

This afternoon, while checking my account, I saw an "Exclusive" offer in my account of the same card, but now has 70k bonus points. It does require spending $2,000 in the first 3 months.

I want to find out if I can get the 20k bonus when I reach $2,000. Or should I apply for the same card again? I don't really know what's the best option here.

Thanks!

WilliamQ, MX and gregm like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this case, it would definitely not hurt to call and ask. Even if you were allowed to upgrade your card, you can't upgrade past the one you have so you may have made a 20,000 point premature move.

OceanTrotter3 and WilliamQ like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    First, I suggest that you read the complete terms very carefully to check for hidden tricks (like the annual fee, etc.). Then if you'd rather go with the 70K offer, call or write Chase and ask to be switched. In the past, Chase was known to accomodate such requests (within the first 90 days of account opening). Just remember that you can't pick and choose the terms, but accept the whole offer package.

WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  4. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    The terms all seem identical. The only obvious difference is the $1,000 difference in minimum spending. I will give them a ring in the morning. Thanks! :)

5. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Would hate to lose that 20k~

foxberg and gregm like this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like @MX said, read the fine print and call. Couldn't hurt.

7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check the offers terms for possible statement credits. I recall that the 50K offer once included a cash bonus too.

gregm likes this.
  8. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Thanks. Yea, I didn't notice anything like that. Would the Chase people be pretty well versed with these information?

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than for the minimum spend, there are no differences between the two offers. The OP just grabbed the "wrong one." I almost did the same thing a year ago, except that before I signed up for the 50K offer, I joined Marriott Rewards as a Gold Elite and applied from a link within my new account that offered 70K points with a minimum spend of $1,000. I always make screen dumps of offers that I go for:
    MAR70K-OFFER.jpg

With a minimum spend of $1K my 70K offer was clearly better than the current 70K offer.

The bottom line is that you need to call Chase and tell them that you found a better offer after you'd applied and would like to switch. They'll do it for you, unless there has been a change in their policy on this.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  10. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's another offer out there for 80K for 3K spend, but the annual fee is not waived off for the first year.

11. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    I couldn't find a # to call. Does anyone know a good number to call for such queries? Or a generic Chase CS # would work?

12. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    So I did call them, and was told that the request will be submitted to the marketing department, whom will then either email/snail mail me the result.

13. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget, that 70K deal could have been targeted.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always a possibility. I believe that mine above was targeted because the link was accessible from within my Rewards account, i.e., I had to be logged in to see that particular offer.

foxberg likes this.
  15. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those that mentioned this deal on blogs said it was.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  16. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Right, I believe it's target since it appears on my account's point page, under the "Special Elite Offer" section. I think I signed up for something that bumped me into the basic Silver status. The offer wasn't there before.

foxberg likes this.
  17. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you remember what did you sign up for to get Silver?

18. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Yes, I got the following email a few weeks ago. That's actually what got me started w/ Marriott points. I had less than 2,000 prior to this.

[​IMG]

foxberg likes this.
  19. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I see. I thought you were talking about UA status. I get MR Silver because I have their CC.

20. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course Chase Customer Service would know of other offers available, but I wouldn't expect them to volunteer that info. If you specifically request certain bonus and other terms, they'll tell you if that offer is available to you. Here's the number for the Chase/Marriott CS: 800-338-5960.

gregm likes this.
  21. cedrbop74

cedrbop74 Active Member

Status Points:
    I got the same offer as soon as I was approved for the 50k offer. I sent a secured message to Chase CS and they told me as soon as I met the spend requirement, they would post the 20k points during the next billing cycle. Woot :)