Difference in award availability - logged in vs not

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TravelerRob, Jul 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the main reasons I left Delta is because their award booking engine is the worst in the business. Today proved that point to me again.

Logged in through Chrome I search for JFK-SEA in October. It comes back at 52,500 as the *cheapest* flights available and doesn't list even one of the non-stops in either direction. I thought at least it would list the non-stops for 150,000 or some ridiculous number. Nope, not even listed.

Open Internet Explorer, not logged in, and perform the same search. BAM. All non-stops listed both directions and the cheapest is 32,500 which is exactly what I expected given "N" was open on the return non-stop but not the outbound. I go through the booking process and get asked to login, which I do, and then complete my purchase. All is good.

Why the heck do I get different search results whether I'm logged in or not? That's complete BS.

-Rob
    PS - I'm sure this belongs merged with some other thread but I didn't find it easily on the forum. Sorry.

2. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps it's the selection on the top-right hand corner being switched from "miles per passenger" to "best match", which can cost more.

3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestion.

No clue what you're talking about but different days of the week gave me different results when I was logged in. Some days it was 32,500 and others 52,500 (like today).

Even if I knew what "best match" meant...I guarantee "best match" doesn't mean routing a passenger JFK-LAX-SEA when DL has non-stop JFK-SEA flights.

-Rob

4. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually you get different results when logged in as Delta has "enhanced" coach award availability for Medallion members. It's been discussed a lot on FlyerTalk. Did a search and couldn't find a good link, but that is likely why you are seeing the difference.

David

5. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Ah, I see. Never knew that.

6. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Hi Rob, this is what I'm trying to get at:

Choosing between "Miles Per Passenger", and other options may produce different results. But per David's reply, it may not be as relevant.

[​IMG]

7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I know that. But I could literally check daily on the same computer using the same browser and some days it would show up with 52,500 for the r/t and some days it was 32,500 for the r/t. It all depended on whether Delta.com would show me the non-stop flights or not. So DL knew the non-stops were cheaper but refused to present them to me hoping I'd give up more miles for a ticket is my only assumption.

When I used a different browser that doesn't have my DL details saved and I wasn't logged in the non-stop flights showed up magically while they didn't in the other browser window. Same search, same dates, same exact criteria and I get two different responses. And the response for "the elite member" (aka my Chrome browser) was far worse than for the non-elite member (aka my IE browser where I wasn't logged in).

FYI, if I were one of the traveling passengers in the group of people then 25,000 was an option. Just a pity I'm not traveling with the people I booked the tickets for.

Thanks all. I'm just frustrated with DL's lack of competent IT and sad to see the lack of changes DL claimed they would make to award bookings. I was at the DL DO in Atlanta in 2010 and way before then they were promising changes. I'm sure changes have been made but this is a glaring and incomprehensible bug.

-Rob

8. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, sorry - didn't read your original post thoroughly. Did you try a search by schedule just for grins and see how that priced?

David

9. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. Makes a big difference.

Just logged in again through Chrome. Do a search and the cheapest is 52,500. When I changed to Search By Schedule I selected economy for the non-stop flights and they price at 40,000 (which I expect to be the lowest so I think it's accurate).

The issue remains right now that when searching by price DL will NOT show me the non-stop flights on the return (SEA-JFK). But they show up just fine when searching by schedule and they give me 40,000 mile results.

I remain completely underwhelmed by DL's award tools. United at least has a working award ticket system and one that almost always has 25K tickets for domestic flights. In fact they have them for the dates I need in October but I don't want my family connecting so I want to use DL's non-stop and I'm willing to pay more for the tickets and I did. Just not willing to put up with DL's asinine systems.

-Rob

DiverDave likes this.
  10. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, no, you have this all wrong. Jeff Robbo's IT is best in class. It does exactly what it is designed to do, which is what you are experiencing and describing, precisely.

It is so good at what it is designed to do, in fact, that it is a travesty to call it simply *best in class* It is...

[​IMG]MEJOR EN SU CLASE[​IMG]

DiverDave likes this.
  11. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't support connecting flights from a DL hub to SEA, they want you to book these connections from delta hubs ATL, JFK, DTW, and MSP to west coast cities, other than SLC, because they are trying to compete with Alaska airlines out of Seattle. They are looking for ways to fill seats on those flights that Alaska Air customers won't bargain for.

12. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    As we all are. :cool:

David

USAF_Pride likes this.