Did you make your status goal for 2011 or not?

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Colonel G, Nov 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    End of the year truth time. Did you make the status you were shooting for, fell short, or exceeded expectations?

My wife regained her Gold over Thanksgiving and I am poised to requal as Gold in two weeks. I'm happy with that; too much work to go for 75K!

Glenn

2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I requalified as MVPG.

It doesn't seem worth the effort to go for 75K. To do that you have to fly a lot of transcons, and it's too hard to get an upgrade transcon, and frankly AS's F seat is just about the least comfortable out there. It's fine for 2 hours, but for 5-6 hours it's not a good seat.

So I'd rather consider AS my goto carrier for LAX, LAS, PHX, SJC/SFO, maybe DEN. But not EWR, DCA, BOS...

Golfingboy, seaflyguy and Colonel G like this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    MVPG for next year. No 75K this time, which is ok enough for me right now. Given my mix of carriers, 90K was just too much this year.

4. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have less than 1K miles to go to MVPG and will make it on a trip this month. But I'm fairly sure this will be my last year as an MVPG. I can't think of a good reason to fly AS transcons knowing that a) I almost certainly won't get upgraded and b) there are only eight non-middle seats in Y with decent legroom (and only four that recline). Meanwhile, I can't remember the last time I wasn't upgraded on UACO SEA-EWR or SEA-IAD.

5. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, this is even more true flying to Hawaii, where I am 22 fo 22 on upgrades on UACO. Wish I was even at 50% on AS to Hawaii...

6. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I renewed my MVPG which was my goal, and so will stick with the Eskimoo through 2012. I don't get stressed, miffed or upset if I don't get upgraded. My expectations are low while flying these days, so the upgrades are nice, as is the occasional redemption for a trans-Pac biz class trip.

7. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Waaayyy Over. 107K including partners. I'm already booked past 40K for next year on AS metal. I'm also working on 1K on UA next year so gold is a high as i plan on going on AS. Only doing it as it makes the miles easier to use

8. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    Impressive! Yes, I find the combination of 1K and MVPG is great and gets me treated well wherever I go in the world.

9. dsldog400

dsldog400 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Made MVPG-75K again on November 1, without any real extra effort.

10. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me, too. Plus, I didn't find that much of a difference in the actual experience of being a 75K vs. Gold. At the beginning of the year, it felt like the agents were falling all over me, and there was a certain ego-boosting component to that.

But by the end of the year, as the 75K program ended its honeymoon phase, I didn't feel any different than I was when I was a regular Gold--that is, I still sat up front most of the time either with a paper certificate or a last-minute upgrade during OLCI. If I'm going to be able to lie, cheat, and steal my way up into the F cabin during OLCI (only in order to prevent someone else from lying, cheating, and stealing their way into the F cabin in front of me during OLCI, of course), why spend the extra thousand or two bucks to fly another few dozen thousand miles?

Maybe I'll end up regretting that choice now with the useless overly-restricted electronic upgrade certificates, but Alaska has done too much this year to remind me they don't value me as a customer for me to bother putting in more effort than I need to get what I want.

A recent survey from Best Buy asked me as its final question: "Would you say you feel a 'personal connection' with Best Buy?" I answered "no" to that, and I would now answer "no" to that if Alaska asked me the same question. It's sad, because a year ago, I would have said yes.

Oh, and as for the other benefits of 75K:
    -MVP nomination: the person I nominated to MVP flew one paid ANC-JNU r/t (no upgrade), one paid ANC-LAX/BUR-ANC trip (upgraded with Gold certs), and one ANC-BUR o/w (mileage redemption). Not a lot of use of that MVP benefit, there.
    -DigEplayer in Y: Considering I rarely flew in Y, big whoop. And I've found the best benefit of the DigE is the fact that it acts as an iPhone charger, since the movies are mostly worthless. (I did watch Unstoppable on it, though.)
    -50,000 bonus miles: would be nice, but not worth it in and of itself for the price I'd have to pay for them. If that's all I wanted, I could buy those 50,000 miles for $1,000--cheaper than I could get 75K for.

That's my goal, but I couldn't fly enough this year. I matched over to CO and enjoyed my one trip as a PE so much that I definitely know I'll be making UACO my primary carrier in the future, but it's hard to give up that change fee waiver on AS. I've already had a possible trip on CO come and go unbooked because I couldn't confirm my availability 100%.

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    MVP (down from MVPG). I decided this year was "burn, not earn" on the *A side, so while I flew more than last year, I'll do the majority of it on US *A awards.

We'll see if the mid-January "come back" promo shows up. If not... -shrug- I may start becoming very agnostic about my flying.

12. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will requalify for MVPG75K next Wednesday enroute to DCA, but 2012 is going to be my last year with AS. Now that I am DC based and with all the recent cuts made by AS I don't see the motivation to maintain status with them. AS is unattractive on so many levels compared to UA/CO unless you are PNW/Alaska based and fly 90% domestic.

So for 2012 I will be a 1K with UA/CO and MVPG75K with AS.

dgreen12 and jackal like this.
  13. Currently 8 segments away from 75k, with 8 more segments to go this year! :)

Colonel G likes this.
  14. adamlile

adamlile Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hit MVPGold75k again this year. Being Seattle based I can get almost anywhere I need to on AS but I still hit 75K via the 90K combo.
    I took a new job starting Jan and not sure how that will impact my travel but I imagine it will be about the same.

15. dave1013

dave1013 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wife and I both requalified for MVPG in 2012.

16. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Flew AS enough to get Platinum on AA.