Did you ever travel to a city just because a hotel got good reviews?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by estnet, Nov 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have high status at some chains you get spoiled with benefits sometimes....so have you ever chosen to visit a city because of a hotel? Not particularly talking about exotic/aspirational properties, just sort of normal

I was recently in Vietnam and chose to go to a different beach town than I originally planned because of great reviews that a Starwood hotel received. Turns out I didn't like the town so much, but the hotel is one of the best I've visited.

So...am I crazy or do others make similar choices?

anileze, traveltoomuch and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're crazy. :)

The closest I think I've come is some planning I've been doing recently: I have two free Fairmont nights to burn (from the credit card) and Mrs. ttm has Hyatt nights (from the Hyatt Visa), so we were looking at places with both brands. (Have any favorite Fairmont properties?)

She's also eyeing the Park Hyatt Vienna, and we might go there despite the lack of a Fairmont. But that's less about being drawn to the hotel specifically and more because we both like Vienna.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    MX likes this.
  3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I once went to the IC Porto mostly because the hotel had a good reputation and I wanted to get out of Lisbon for couple days

The property was different than most IC hotels but did not really wow me :eek:

4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed a few hotels in a nearby area because of reviews or trip reports. I do have a couple on my bucket list based on reviews I've seen from others. Usually I stay based on the reward program and then the reviews. Either to earn bonuses, points or for reward nights. For example I'm going to stay in the Normandy area of France soon and I'll stay at a Radisson there because I can't find an IHG hotel where I want. This is based on points that I want to use though. It will hurt my in Normandy because I'm sure there are much nicer local hotels that are much more interesting.

5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going to one resort over another (i.e., someone wants to hang out at the beach, etc.) because of good reviews, landing one in a "city" of sorts, is different than, say, going to Kansas City because of a great hotel review and for no other reason.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to reply "What, are you crazy?!?"

And then I remembered that I went to the Hyatt in Hua Hin, Thailand, because it was a cheap award stay, they had just announced a devaluation, and I wanted to spend a relaxing week at a warm sunny beach in comfort without being particularly concerned about the location. Hua Hin didn't strike me as the most exiting place to visit, but we had a great time anyway (if you ignore the fact that on the way there we got stranded for a night in Japan due to massive earthquake).

estnet and anileze like this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry can't help with Fairmont or Hyatt :(

8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not presume to judge your level of sanity. I have on occasion chosen smaller hotel / chains on smaller cities over the opposite. Case in point Toyoko Inn in a Tokyo suburb over and downtown Marriott, IHG, or Hilton. Also was the 5x price tag and 45 minutes on the JR east lines. I believe I enjoyed the experience more because of the change in scenery than the hotel itself.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  9. DavidO
    Original Member

DavidO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heck, I go to cities for the precise purpose of reviewing great hotels!!!

10. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    And sometimes not so great ones.

11. Ziggy2

Ziggy2 Active Member

Status Points:
    Definitely The Fairmont Banff Springs!