Did you ever convert 20,000 *points to 25,000 airline miles?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by dhammer53, Apr 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I signed up for the Starwood Amex card years ago, the major incentive was transferring 20,000 points to 25,000 airline miles. I liked the idea of having a kitty to get a free ticket if I was short in a particular program. In all the years I've owned this credit card, I've never done a transfer. What about you?

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, to US Airways when they offered their 25%+25%+25% bonus last year.

3. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    MANY times!

4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never. I've always been tempted knowing the points are there, but I've (to date) found the Starpoints too valuable for hotel stays.

5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree.

SC Flier, B1BomberVB, TAHKUCT and 2 others like this.
  6. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only when I've really needed to top off some miles in my account. Starpoints are worth too much.

B1BomberVB and Counsellor like this.
  7. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember a few years ago when there was a promotion allowing for increased % for transfers to AA, so I transferred some then. Otherwise, never have needed to.

iolaire and schnitzel like this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to feel that way but could care less about SPG or any hotel status for that matter today (ask me next year or the following & perhaps my loyalty will come back when/if the good promos do).

So the 'free' tickets I've been able to redeem for family has been great using the transfer method.
    So yes, I have used the transfer option.

9. farbster

farbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like the delay would be a killer...

Sweet Willie likes this.
  10. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did the transfer to US with a 50% bonus. :)

iolaire likes this.
  11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did to Alaska Air. I moved Discover America and two credit card sign up bonuses = a huge amount...

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I care less about hotel status than about airline status. So I tend to be forced to fly revenue (and earn miles in the process). So while I may not get the highest value out of using hotel points for hotels (eg $1000 room vs $3000 C ticket), the math is somewhat more difficult as the loss of airline status would cost me in many ways, too.

iolaire and Sweet Willie like this.
  13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a lot of these to AA when they offered the 35% bump also. I had just purchased additional points in a Discover America promo, so those, plus my card points, all got converted to AA with the 25% then 35% bonuses. That helped me get to 2 MM on AA in time.

Now, I almost always use my SPG points for SPG stays. But it's a nice feature to have - no doubt.

14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    it is very quick transfer, at least in my experience, I can't recall my miles credited taking more than 24 hours.

15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can possibly think of any reason I would even consider this ....SPG points are much more valuable than any airline miles.
    But hey to each his own:)

When I see the Marques de Riscal asking for 551 euro (plus 9% taxes) for its cheapest available room over the 5/26-28 and I can book a room for for 20K points/ night you would be hard pressed to show me a 25k ticket on any airline worth over $900.00 ( when tickets get to up that value the 25k ones are not available anyway)

Although one can of course buy SPG points but the way the airlines are throwing miles around like water they are just way too easier get.

Global Explat likes this.
  16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't quite understand the replies if airline points are used for premium cabin Then I think miles are a good deal - but an even better deal IMHO is nights and flights :)

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Everyone's situation is different. I love premium cabins as much as the next guy... and I got six SWUs to use up (and limited vacation time). If I fly on award tickets, I waste the SWUs and don't earn status miles. Then next year I get less miles, no upgrades. (yeah, they got me addicted)

18. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same problems (?) for me. I always want to fly AA to get my double miles, but then, when do I use the miles?

Toula and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  19. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahh but first class on foreign carriers is soooo nice :) Now that I have more leisure time I can use up some of my accumulated miles. And with UA convincing me I don't need to fly them to keep up my 1k status it makes it even nicer.

The other thing for me is that I rarely have been in a situation where I would actually pay, say 551€ a night rather than staying somewhere else so for me the opportunity cost is somewhat different. Nice that each of us can make the choice that fits our needs

20. tebfunk

tebfunk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did, once, to SkyMiles (I can hear the gasps of horror). I was just shy of two international J tickets for my in-laws, and time was short. I wouldn't do it consistently, but it made sense at that moment.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I see nothing wrong with using SPG points to send the in-laws far, far away :p

22. DCAview
    Original Member

DCAview Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've transferred 20K SPG points into LAN's program (receiving 50K kilometers). Normally I'd agree that hotel stays are the better use for the points, but when we were planning a trip that required several intra-Peru flights, the LAN point redemptions were a better value than either using AA miles on the same flights or paying the incredibly high cash prices LAN charges non-Peruvians.

Gaucho and dhammer53 like this.
  23. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the SPG card as it was the only card available in the UK that could (indirectly) earn miles with Asiana (OZ).

But, no, I haven't taken the plunge either. *points just seem too valuable to waste.

24. tebfunk

tebfunk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha! They were actually coming to see us, but it was totally worth it to hear mom-in-law describe the flight : "When they brought the tablecloths out for the tray tables I thought 'Gosh, I must be in the wrong seat!'"

Global Explat, wrxmom, estnet and 3 others like this.
  25. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1