Did the epsilon data hack cause you any concern?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Naptimes, Apr 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Naptimes
    Original Member

Naptimes Silver Member

Status Points:
    A lot of companies we do business with gave some of our info to Epsilon, who appears to have allowed - albeit inadvertently- someone else to have it.

Did you get any mail about that?

And does it worry you?

Derek likes this.
  2. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received a few notices re:Epsilon, but only from mainstream travel sites in which I had opted-in.

One thing I do to miminize risk is that I use web-based e-mail for general mail (subscriptions to announcements, newsletters, promotions, etc). and a separate, non-web-based address for actual transactions where I have to divulge personal information. Between that, always verifying that financial transactions are using a secure session, and eschewing the use of intrusive social media (Facebook, etc), I think that my exposure is relatively minimized.

Derek likes this.
  3. Derek
    Original Member

Derek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. and Yes.

But unfortunately, I have not really changed my online behavior to protect myself. So many accounts etc. It can be exhausting to have a separate password for each. Posting this is probably stupid as well, but honestly, I've almost resigned myself to having my security breached at some point. Like Wurm, I do utilize multiple (6 +) email accounts (and several passwords), but I readily (and wearily) admit that I use the same passwords for several accounts. I also use software to track my accounts and passwords... But sometimes it is just too much. Having 123gs324r234 as the password for account #1, and fdjf23443fgsf234 for account #2, and so on and so forth is a great idea... but at some point you just have say enough is enough, and accept the consequences.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I received notices but no I'm not concerned in the least as I keep very good track of my financials, so if I see anythign amiss, I'll get it taken care of.

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has only helped me. Got an email from a Nigerian prince who needed $10,000 to help move $60,000,000 into a US bank. Yours truly will be getting 20% of that for helping fund the transfer and supplying him my SSN. I’m pretty excited!

Counsellor, Lyssa, Derek and 3 others like this.
  6. Naptimes
    Original Member

Naptimes Silver Member

Status Points:
    It bugs me that Epsilon is describing the risk like it's about more spam. Personal data got stolen and it's about people. Linking this data with data from another source and you could do something with it. Like steal my identity.

Derek and sobore like this.
  7. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What should I be concerned about and watch out for?

The way I read the notifications, I thought they just compromised my email address and possibly my name. So, like Naptimes said, I thought I was just at-risk for spam.

With identity theft concerns, is it because someone could use the name and email combination to dig up more personal info like address, etc and then apply for credit in my name?

8. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the spam I've been getting it has definitely put people more at risk from phishing. I'm getting alot more of that time of email since the breach.

Derek likes this.