Did MilePoint Cross the 2-Million Messages Milestone with a Whimper?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by NYCUA1K, Jul 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just noticed that there have now been just over 2 million messages posted on MilePoint. Did I miss the thread that heralded this new milestone? The reason this is of interest is that shortly after I joined MP, I seem to remember the buzz being that it had reached the million messages milestone faster than any online discussion group. Am I remembering that correctly, and if so, how does the 2 million milestone stack up? Is it still the fastest pace on the plaNET?:)**

**Post edited to correct multiple annoying syntactic errors

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for noticing. While we're certainly pleased with our progress in this area, we're actually more pleased to grow happy members.

To answer your question: Milepoint remains the fastest growing road warrior/frequent flyer forum community ever to one million posts and is the fastest ever to a two-million post effort. Here's a comparison you inquired about:
    - FlyerTalk was started in 1995 with a reboot in 1998. Choose whichever date you are comfortable with and you'll see that in Feb. 2003, a full 8 eight years after launching or 5 five years after the reboot that FlyerTalk had 1,593,200 posts. We were all very happy with those posts on FlyerTalk and how we were helping other travelers. Still proud today.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030207164253/http://www.flyertalk.com/milesfr.shtml

FlyerTalk did not hit the three million post mark until July 2004, a full 9 or 6 years (again, choose whichever launch date you like) after its launch and we're fairly confident we can hit another million posts in the next 3 1/2 or 6 1/2 years and be the fastest ever to the three million post mark.

It's actually other things we're most proud of—the generosity of our members, the fact that at this number of posts we yet have had to resort to adding official moderators (thanks for keeping things pleasant around here), the leading technology that we employ for our members use in the forums (love those alerts!), the quality of our first premium membership offer, the unique addition of MilepointTV and our formal partnerships supporting unique experiences and education for fellow travelers with Frequent Traveler University and MegaDO, our leading edge Award Store for members and much more. It's not just about posts, but it would be difficult for anyone to point out such a complete community of benefits and relationships as noted above.

SO, two million posts is really just a number, but Milepoint is so much more.

Again thanks for noticing.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is loud and clear, and it is easy forget one's successes!

Thanks for the perspective/retrospective, Randy. I do concur that MilePoint is much, much more than the numbers, but the numbers are the tangible evidence that emphasizes precisely that point.

Congrats and here's to another fastest million on the plaNET!

5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

But unlike other message boards we seem to have a lot more fun!!!

6. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you did miss it.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aha! I see, thank you...looking at that thread it still looks like the 2 millionth message (2 MM) still arrived with a whimper, although it was clearly preceded by an anticipatory climax -- call it a premature ej...:p :D :)

8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but how many of those posts were content-free (remember threads like "count backwards from 100,000" "please like me" "post a random number" "good morning/afternoon/evening" and the like)? They generate big numbers, but simply waste bandwidth.

FlyerTalk did not have such threads in its infancy; most (but not all) posts then were related to the topic of miles and points. Oh, there was some banter back and forth between Catman, PremEx, Merry, baobab, and others, but for the most part there was a reason for posting other than just running up numbers.

Personally, I'm much more impressed with quality rather than mere quantity.

I fully agree, and couldn't have said it better myself.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering that this is a general discussion group on a variety of travel-related issues and more, you might probably be splitting hairs unnecessarily. Opinions can vary widely regarding what is a meaningful or content-free post, but for people to be able to post freely what ever they have in mind is priceless. Interesting posts will generate traffic, whereas uninteresting or "content-free" ones will generally fade away almost unnoticed. You get to count the "good" along with the "bad" and everything in between because that is the nature of the medium...

10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I seriously wonder what was the 2 millionth comment on Milepoint and who wrote it. :)

11. KVS

KVS Z Representative

Status Points:
  12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the characteristic that impresses me the most on Milepoint. The respect for diversity of opinion expressed in posts on various subjects. Add to that, the creation of a community of travelers who care.

As I once wrote......Milepoint is a miracle.

"
    I posted this on MP about a year ago.....

"Milepoint has been in service for about a year and half.

The site has established itself as a forum for discussion of travel related issues and concerns that is respecful of many views and opinions..... and mainly free of the bun fights and pettyness that one finds elsewhere.

The naysayers proclaimed that changing the culture of travel websites was quasi impossible and that MP would soon slip into raucous discussions characterized by intolerance of other opinions and lack of respect for diversity.

Well it seems that the prophets of doom are false prophets.

MP has revealed itself to be a vibrant community of travellers either for business or leisure strongly motivated to help each other. MP is not only a community of travellers but also a community caring for the less fortunate. The resounding success of the Milepoint Kiva Lending team and other charities has positively impacted our world a step at a time.

The success of various DOs and gatherings have cemented friendships and networking opportunies.

Milepoint is a vibrant community and a pleasure to either post to, or even lurk on the various threads.

Milepoint is indeed a small miracle......a miracle thanks to the generous and strong leadership from HOM and the daily respectful contributions of countless travellers .

And they said that the marriage of a team's dream and a community of passionate travellers would not last........ :D

Ad multos annos !"​

13. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will milchap be receiving an iPad for this milestone in milepoint history?

14. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats milchap.:)