Did I get a bad deal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by rylemdr, Nov 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bought some wine at wine.com for a total of $107

I used the US Airways shopping mall which offered 1 mile/ dollar. I quickly clicked through the links and made my purchase.

The next day, I saw that Delta Skymiles offered 2 miles/ dollar. I was pretty upset by then that I didn't bother to check.

Today, I saw that AAdvantage eShopping was offering 4 miles/ dollar. I feel really cheated. :(

Did I get a bad deal?

On another note, is 1.5 Hawaiian miles better than 1 Delta/US Airways/American Airlines mile? I just bought a $399 iPad 2 from Apple Store and clicked the Hawaiian Airlines link to purchase it. I'm currently having second thoughts. Some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It matters on how much you value each mile.

For example, I am a loyal Delta flyer and amass over 120K miles/year on Delta simply from flying the airline. Delta miles are notoriously difficult to redeem, so I don't go out of my way to earn extra miles on online purchases/credit cards.

On the other hand, I don't fly US and have no easy way of earning US miles (since they are not partners with AMEX MR or Chase UR), but I do have a significant number from the US Airways Grand Slam this year and like their miles since they have great partners you can redeem for. So earning US miles to top off for an award would be helpful for me.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, the way I see it you got a useful lesson at a fairly good price :)

Personally, I'd rather have 1 US Air mile than 2 SkyMiles. But I'd certainly prefer 4 AAdvantage miles over 1 US Air mile (that assumes the miles add to a stash or you plan on building up one, as a few hundred miles by themselves are fairly worthless). But you only "lost" a few hundred miles. The lesson learned here is that different airline "malls" give different bonuses, and it might be worth comparison-shopping before making purchases. There are some sites that try to help you find the best "mall" for a given vendor. E.g., evrewards.com has been recommended by some, and I look at it, but I find them to be often out of date or plain inaccurate (e.g., right now it still shows Amazon to give you 0.5 US Airways miles, which was discontinued 1-2 weeks ago).

Do you have more miles with Hawaiian? I think many people earn them to later transfer to Hilton Honors, but I think you need to accumulate 5000 miles.

Personally, I don't spend too much time obsessing about every possible mile I could earn with shopping. Most of my online purchases are with Amazon anyway, which has historically not been a good mileage earning vendor. Only you can determine how much time you want to spend researching all possible options in order to ensure your $100 purchase earns the optimal reward.

ducster, alohastephen, stan and 2 others like this.
  4. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    WELL SAID!

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with HaveMiles that you check evreward.com but only use that as a starting point. Always verify the information provided by data aggregators.

alohastephen and hulagrrl210 like this.
  6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd feel a little ripped off about the AAdvantage miles. As for the skypesos...not so much.

You can always use the HA miles to get to PPT from HNL. :)

alohastephen likes this.
  7. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP... if it makes you feel a little better... I lost out on about 6k of Aeroplan miles just this past October, when I did not use the Shopping link for Apple from Aeroplan's estores... *sigh*

Oh well... at least I got SPG points from using my Amex SPG on the purchase... :p

8. ff.volker

ff.volker Active Member

Status Points:
  9. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I think that whatever is your preferred program should get the miles regardless of the "best deal". That said, I've had lots of trouble in the last few months getting shopping credits in my CO account. Maybe it's a systems problem that's merger related, but they do owe me a bunch of miles, and nobody seems to want to answer my emails nor credit me my miles.

Just FYI, Amex MR is offering 6X points on Apple store purchases until 12/31. Methinks it may be time for a new Macbook Air!

10. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can't spend your life regretting the decisions that you have made. At the time you made the purchase you obviously thought you got a good deal...heck...you got wine and free miles! Relax and enjoy and don't worry about the potential offers you missed on. If you waited for the greatest offer of all time I think you would be waiting for a very long time...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.