did anyone try getting out of the departing plane?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by swisshera, May 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have this weird question to ask - did any of you got on to a plane and need to get out of the plane immediately after they beeped your boarding pass. need some help!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Need meaning that you needed to get off and not take the flight or were you asked by the GA or FA to leave?

If you need to get off, I would just mention it to the purser of FA by the door and they swim upstream on the jetway. At the podium, tell the GA. They should check you off of the plane so that you can get a refund if applicable and they can give your seat to a standby.

If you need to get off briefly (for instance because you left some belongings behind in the gate area or at security) but still plan/hope to fly, again tell the purser/FA and GA. They'll probably want you to take all your belongings when you deplane in case you miss the flight.

3. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just need to get out of the plane and not fly voluntarily. Can I not have the ticket refunded and just dash out by any chance? Thanks!

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may be able leave prior to an aircraft closing it doors. I'm not sure you will get a refund of any kind, even on a refundable ticket since this is during boarding.

Horse likes this.
  5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are you trying to gain by this crazy plan, maybe we could accomplish the same some other way? :)

6. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wild Card!

(for you IASIP fans)

7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think security would be very interested in this type of activity.

BurBunny and KENNECTED like this.
  8. MrHalliday
    Original Member

MrHalliday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Years ago in GIG, boarded CO flight to Newark, we pushed back,
    then Captain announced somebody demanded to get off the plane.

We never knew why, but it took almost 2 hours before they
    got his baggage off and pushed back again.

I hope he didn't get a refund, but rather a large invoice.

KENNECTED and MSPeconomist like this.
  9. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even the question has me wondering...

10. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you got a phone call with bad news I could see you wanting to get off a plane immediately. I'm not sure I'd be worrying about a refund in that situation though.

11. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course, there are circumstances which would have any of us needing to get off the plane after we've boarded. However, it sounds like the OP is actually planning on it in advance, which is what triggers the alert in my mind.

12. MrHalliday
    Original Member

MrHalliday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, of course.
    The scenario I experienced did have some hints of a familial feud or similar.

One clue was in the Captain's announcement"
    "well...Mr.X suddenly doesn't WANT to go to Newark,
    so WE DON'T WAN'T him onboard." :oops:

13. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right after 9/11 I was on a DL transcon LAX-JFK and a woman demanded to get off the plane after the FA closed the door. This prompted a 3.5 hour delay while all the passengers were made to exit the aircraft and they searched the entire plane. In addition, two passengers in the front cabin got into a fight over whether there was a real security concern and were removed by the airport police.

It was a complete mess which makes me wonder why the OP would even consider this approach to duty free shopping?

14. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just go shopping on eBay and not inconvenience the other passengers on the plane!

15. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:
    that's why I haven't done it and asking here, because I don't want anyone to get into any trouble! Calm down!
    and obviously if I were to leave the plane, i will do it right after I get my stuff not when the gate is shut.

I will look for MR deals from the other thread since this is not working it seems. thanks everyone! That's what happen when women set eyes on expensive jewelry and watches.

16. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are many ways to purchase expensive jewelry and watches that are far more cost effective than buying these items in a duty free site.

17. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I rarely see duty free that is actually a deal, especially for high end jewelery or other valuables.

18. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like to stop at the duty free shop :p I like to stop at the duty free shop :D

19. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've left a plane twice, once many years ago and once last year. The incident last year was on Virgin, SFO/SNA. My wife likes them, so I thought I'd give them a try as I was flying that route often and they tended to be 30% less than my regular carrier, UA. When I got to the airport, I checked one bag and took a legal-sized rollaboard to the gate as carry-on. I was there well before boarding commenced. I told the gate agent I absolutely positively could not gate check my carry on (it contained irreplaceable recordings) and was concerned that, with my high zone number, there wouldn't be room on board and I'd have to gate check it, which I absolutely could not do under any circumstances. He assured me it would be no problem. However, by the time my zone was called and I boarded, there was no room left and all carry-ons were being gate checked. The FA told me I would have to gate check and I said, "In that case, I'm not going." I walked back off the plane and told the GA to call a supervisor (which he refused to do) and also asked him to pull my checked bag off the plane (which he also refused to do).

I had no problems with security but the most that the supervisor, who I finally tracked down, would do was put me on standby the following morning. Instead, I just bought a one-way ticket on UA and I have not flown Virgin since, nor will I do so in the future.