DId Anyone Else on Flight 783 on the 6th Get Ill?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by avflyer, Nov 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife has got an incredibly difficult cold. She was sitting close to a family with a vomiting infant and believes this was where she got it. Anyone?

ACMM likes this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very sorry to hear about your wife and the cold. I hope she gets over it quickly!

FriendlySkies and avflyer like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where did AC 783 fly from/to? ... was this November 06?

4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's the LAX-YYZ red eye. Departed on the 6th.

5. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    uuuugggghhhhhhh

6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    No kidding and when my wife asked to be moved, they refused. Why do they let obviously ill people stay on board?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    because it is public transit and there is no legal basis for them to refuse the same unless it is a documented case of say tuberculosis...that is one that gets you punted...i take the point but lots fly sick all the time...

in any case, why do they let employees go to work when they are clearly sick? I get sick from people who clearly do not stay home when they are sick all the fricken time. Since I stoped taking the virus wagon...i mean TTC subway, my colds in the winter have dropped to almost nil.

it is impossible and in my view, totally not appropriate to deny boarding based on anything other than a probitted illness. especially with useless, power tripping FA's/GA's left to enforce the same...

as to the OP, there has been a nasty stomach flu going around YYZ since about early Oct. my 4 yr old gave it to me and i have not puked like that since 2001. well, not due to a flu. too many bottles of Duval...excepted.

avflyer likes this.
  8. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha...Just irresponsible people. And we heard same from the doc regarding the flu in Toronto.

9. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    smelling that, i would have puked myself!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. wembleygal
    Original Member

wembleygal Silver Member

Status Points:
    My partner got very sick afer AC854 from Vancouver to LHR on 6th November (we connected via LAX) .. but I suspect it was because the plane was so hot !

11. I would suggest you are all on the wrong track complaining about sick people on flights. You will never control that issue and neither will the airlines.

The simple solution is to get an annual flu shot which reduces your exposure by over 80%. Then you are in control of your own destiny in terms of travel related flu bugs. Almost,if not all provinces in Canada offer free flu shots.

YULtide and 2MM_Guy like this.
  12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flu shot can indeed reduce (flu) risk though there are no guarantees -- depending o nthe type of bug going around, the vaccine may or may not protect against it.

On the other hand, I average 100K+ BIS miles per year, have never yet had a flu shot, and have had only one flu in the past five years or so. (Now, need to find some wood to knock on ...)

LETTERBOY and avflyer like this.
  13. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i would have said you saw penuts and had to be moved because of your alergy...

avflyer likes this.
  14. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i have always gotten the flu shot and in 2002 and this year i had a horrible bug that i had no protection against. total misery. i also got H1N1 last year...because i did not try to skip the line like many others in Toronto did. that was nasty. upshot was at least Tamiflu was free for me...

15. zorn
    Original Member

zorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your wife probably has a rhinovirus or a coronavirus.

The infant probably had one of the gastroenteritis viruses.

It is not likely that the illnesses had anything to do with each other.

It is possible that the infant had influenza, and that your wife has managed to come down with a relatively mild case of it, but it is far more likely that your wife picked up the cold from touching some surface that some other infected person touched. Infants are not the most mobile people, especially on airplanes, so my money is on some random infected adult either on the airplane or somewhere else entirely.

Proving once again that adults are the problem on airplanes and not infants. :)

RoninTech, YULtide and ACMM like this.
  16. RoninTech
    Original Member

RoninTech Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's colds and then there's the flu. The flu REALLY knocks you on your ass. I believe I got the flu years ago and lost about 5 lbs and was in bed for 3 days with a high fever and horrible aches, pains, chills etc. I actually had difficulty getting out of bed by myself for a couple of days. Been getting the shot ever since. I've had numerous colds since then with some similar symptoms but not even close to the same ballpark in severity.

Did anyone see the new Planet of the Apes movie? I found the video played during the credits to do a great job of showing how things spread.

Then there's this. Spooky stuff...

YULtide and ACMM like this.