Diamond walked to hotel 40 minutes away -- what would you have done?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by sunseeker, Apr 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    About a month ago, we arrived to TPA after midnight, and arrived at the HI Rocky Point close to 1 AM. When we arrived the desk clerk informed us that we were being walked to a hotel 40 minutes away by cab. The hotel was a very nice one, the Don Caesar in St. Pete's beach, the HI paid for the cab to/from the other hotel as we had rented a car at the airport the next day, but we did not get to bed until after 2 AM.

I have been traveling and otherwise busy and had not thought about the incident too much, but recently when I checked my bill I saw I was not charged for the stay, but I also see that I did not get credit for the stay. I need all the stays I can get, and that is one reason I made the reservation there. I was still a diamond member when this occurred. Do you think I can get credit for the stay? How can I handle it?

2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Don is a Loews Hotel so that's why you didn't earn points for the stay. I think it would be worth calling the HHonors line to see if they'll credit you a stay or points though.

3. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not taking Lowe's points because to the best of my knowledge that was my only lifetime stay at a Lowe's.

4. Tex1899

Tex1899 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would request credit for the stay and points for the original HI rate. I think you should get at least that.

Quite honestly, as a Diamond you probably should get some extra points, maybe 5,000. I'm surprised as a Diamond you were walked, but then again given the time I can see that. Did you check in online?

5. Naptimes
    Original Member

Naptimes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got bumped from a United flight to Frontier due to a United maintenance issue once. I needed the EQS to qualify for premier executive. I called the mileage plus line and they credited me with miles and the segment. No argument or discussion. I also got miles on Frontier. I would call.

6. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would first contact the hotel directly and ask for at least stay credit and possibly bonus points, if no resolution then contact Diamond Desk...

sdcarver

7. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the first thing to clear up is if you were to pay for your stay. If your stay is comped then you may not have grounds for points or a stay.

I agree, the extra travel time is a bit of a hassle, but if they comped the room it seems like they've already gone above-and-beyond for a Diamond.

8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I believe they should both comp the room AND provide the points and stay credit. Remember that the hotel was 40 minutes away. This is not insignificant.

2soonold and IMGone like this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that I have finished shaking my head over them walking a Diamond, I think that they would likely give you the credit if you just ask. I would bet the person you talk to on the phone would be just as surprised they walked a Diamond.

thegrailer likes this.
  10. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was only pointing out that that was why you probably didn't get the points. :) Have you HHonors to ask for the points? I would love to know what happens in case I'm ever in a similair situation.

11. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    It never hurts to ask. I recently had to sort out some stays and points, which I understood why they hadn't posted correctly, and the Diamond Desk was helpful and obliging, understanding the circumstances without any fuss or resistance.

12. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the room rate, but comping your entire stay is not insignificant either.

13. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it would be a nice gesture for Hilton to credit you with a stay, and I would certainly ask for that. If they cannot or will not give you a stay, you could always use a part of the money you saved by being comped to book a night at the cheapest Hilton in your local area. Go check in during the evening, you can call to check out the next morning. You don't have to stay there if you prefer not to. That should give you your stay back, and you are still money ahead.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  14. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sunseeker,
    Have you found any resolution yet?

sdcarver

15. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never been walked in 20 years of travel.
    (Probably just jinxed myself.) :)

jmrich1432 likes this.
  16. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please do not quote me on this, but I am pretty sure as a Diamond member, you are entitled to a few unpublished benefits if you are walked which include your night comped at the hotel you are walked to, transportation to said hotel, a phone call (local or long distance?) points for your missed room night and cash to. Which I believe is given by the front desk of the property that is walking you (This is mean't to serve as a penalty for walking a HHonors member)

I know when I used to work for Marriott hotels a few years back, this was the standard if we walked an Elite guest. Same when I worked at Holiday Inn. With regards to Hilton though, I will have to check with my good friend who is a GM for a Homewood Suites. Granted, I am pretty sure we have had this discussion in the past and it sounded like the benefits are similar. Granted, do not quote me on any of this as I do have to reconfirm with him what the Hilton policies are for walking a HHonors member.

17. jeff4jojo
    Original Member

jeff4jojo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was a 1K for years with Hilton. When this happened to me, and it did a few times, I called the Diamond people and they made it good. I got the stay plus whatever points I would have earned. I hope you called.

18. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have communicated with people at Hilton Diamond and am waiting for resolution.