Diamond Suite Upgrades -- what Suite type needs to be available?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Sep 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just called GP Customer Service to request Diamond Suite upgrades for two reservations. For both I was told there were no suites available. Question: what suite type needs to be available? (the agent didn't know)

Case 1: Park Hyatt Hamburg

Looking at the list of room types it appears the lowest suite type is "Park Suite King/Queen/Twin". For my dates, hyatt.com shows availability at the Hyatt Daily Rate (EUR 300 more than the lowest priced room at EUR 285). Is this a case of them being willing to sell a higher-level suite for the lower-level price but not offer it for upgrades? (I'll try another agent later today)

Case 2: GH Seoul

hyatt.com shows availability for Grand Executive Suite, which appears to be one level above Grand Suite (not for sale). I take it they only upgrade to the lowest level?

This is my 2nd year as Diamond, and it looks like I'll end up with 4 unused upgrade certs. What is your success rate?

2. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The base "entry" suite is what the Confrimed Diamond Suite upgrade (as well as points upgrade and suite awards) book into.

1) From what I can tell - the PH Hamburg suites are in fact the "Park Suites" - if you can't get another CS agent to confirm it perhaps start a conversation with Gold Passport Concierge here on milepoint.

2) At GH Seoul - indeed Grand Executive Suite is one level above Grand Suite and is not applicable to the Diamond Suite Upgrades (doesn't mean you won't get one at check-in but not confirmable).

I've been Diamond for 8 years - and since the introduction of the Diamond Suite Upgrades in 2009, I've always had 1-2 leftover and unused at the expiration.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. mmgm

mmgm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a reminder that the suite upgrades can be booked for after their expiration date as long as the reservation is made prior to their expiration.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I used one of last year's batch for a stay in BKK in March of this year.

5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it will help if you call the hotel directly?

Last year I did this with GH SIN after the GP Suite Desk told me the Grand Duplex Suite that the suite upgrade booked into wasn't available, but the suite a level above was available (Grand Suite King). I called the hotel and they let me used the suite upgrade on the Grand Suite King.

I also found that some hotels were very generous and upon check-in they would give suites that were a level above the booked suite. In GH Macau, I was given a Grand Executive Suite and in GH Shenzhen, I was given a one-bedroom apartment suite. In both hotels the standard suite upgrade books into the Grand Suite King.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Called again (availability of for-sale suites hadn't changed) and the agent I got this time confirmed the Hamburg upgrade.

I'll keep checking on the GH Seoul upgrade situation and ask at check-in if needed (don't really care about it that much in this case as I'll be by myself and presumably mostly exploring the city).

cennas likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was told by the Diamond line that a regular room at an Andaz upgrades with the Diamond suite upgrade confirmation cert, into an Andaz suite which is a regular one-bedroom suite at an Andaz property, not a junior suite. My confirmation is consistent with this.

8. Skyraider

Skyraider Active Member

Status Points:
    I just stayed at the Grand Hyatt Seoul and must say that the Grand King Suite is not really a suite. The room is fairly small and should rather be called 'executive room' or something similar. It has a sitting area but it is still just one room.

I burned a confirmed upgrade that otherwise would have expired so I do not complain. Had I paid for it, I would have been dissapointed though.

The club at the hotel had an impressive breakfast spread however.

9. Skyraider

Skyraider Active Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming stay (in two weeks) at the Hyatt Regency Penns Landing, Philly. Suite confirmed. Anyone who know what I should expect?

10. Skyraider

Skyraider Active Member

Status Points:
    I was upgraded to the Presidential suite att the Hyatt Regency Penns Landing, very nice allbeit somewhat dated hotel.