Diamond Suite Upgrade confusion

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Bigcountry, Aug 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to be staying at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. I called reservations to use the suite upgrade. They said they needed to call the hotel and after a very long hold, said that unfortunately the suite wasn't available for 1 of the nights of our stay and therefore they wouldn't be able to do it.

After hanging up, I went to the website just to do a mock booking for the same dates and there are two suites available for booking, the Garden Suite and the Ocean Suite.

So what gives - is the hotel trying not to give it away? or is there some T&C I'm not aware of?

First time using the suite upgrades. Thanks.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Jeanne23

Jeanne23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They have stock specifically for this, so that stock could sell out.

Just like they can sell out of Cash and Points rooms even though they have rooms left in the hotel. They only set aside a certain number for each night. Hope this helps!

Bigcountry, uggboy and IDGflygirl like this.
  3. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would check first in what kind of suite Diamond Suite upgrade books into and then check if that is available online. If there is availability, you should be able to secure that suite using Diamond Suite Upgrade certificate

viguera, Wandering Aramean and uggboy like this.
  4. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can keep trying back and hope a suite opens up for all nights. You could also maybe ask for the suite for the days available if you are willing to switch rooms.

uggboy and IDGflygirl like this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a situation like this, I would just contact the hotel in question and ask to speak to the Revenue Manager. I would then talk to the Rev. Mgr and ask if they'd be willing to open up a suite on the day that has no availability according to the HGP agent. I've had luck in the past with the HR Jeju since I cancelled a C+P reservation by mistake and the space was no longer available within an hour of the cancellation. The Rev. Mgr at the HR Jeju said they would open up space in another type of room and to have the HGP agent contact her.

6. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to The Points Guy http://thepointsguy.com/2012/02/hotel-review-grand-hyatt-kauai/ , his Diamond Upgrade suite was the Garden View suite which as of this morning is still available for booking from the night I'll be staying. Thanks for the tip!

7. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know - thanks for the tip, will try this and report back.

8. AttorneyVin

AttorneyVin Silver Member

Status Points:
    The standard Diamond Suite Upgrade at the HR Kauai is the "Garden View Suite." That is the room class you book into, and sometimes, if you are very lucky, the upgrade you to an Ocean View or even a Deluxe Ocean View Suite.

IDGflygirl likes this.