Diamond Suite upgrade awards

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge, Mar 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    We wanted to briefly clarify how the Diamond Suite Upgrade program works. Diamond Suite Upgrade Awards are valid on any Hyatt Gold Passport eligible rate for a maximum of 7 consecutive nights, and can be booked up to 13 months in advance based on availability. The suite upgrade award provides for one-bedroom standard suite accommodations and is not valid toward specialty, premier, presidential or diplomatic suites.

The program terms and conditions currently provide a list of hotels that do not participate because they do not have standard suite inventory. This includes: Hyatt Regency Kyoto, Hyatt Regency Paris-Madeleine, Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort, Park Hyatt Maldives, Park Hyatt Sydney, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House or Hyatt Residence Club Resorts. In addition, our terms and conditions are currently being updated to include Hyatt Santa Barbara, Key West Resort and Spa, Hyatt Regency Wichita and Hyatt Regency Tulsa, as they do not have standard suites.

If we can provide any additional information, please let us know.

Safe travels!

Nick B.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  2. Leonardo85

Leonardo85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    not good :-/

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Does this mean that Hyatt Santa Barbara, Key West Resort and Spa, Hyatt Regency Wichita and Hyatt Regency Tulsa used to have standard suites but no longer do? Have those suites had walls torn down and been expanded? ;)

viguera likes this.
  4. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just started a different thread with this question, but does a guest earn GP points when using the suite upgrades on a paid stay?

I checked out of a hotel in Chicago on Tuesday, and only "award" posted to my account, no points.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Actually looks like Santa Barbara and key West don't have suites, or at least suite room types aren't listed on the hotel websites. But Wichita? The page does advertise suites. Those are only now excluded? I don't really understand, if the logic is based on Standard vs Non-standard suites rather than hotel pushback?

It's totally reasonable that the T&C of the program exclude some hotels. And some hotels don't have the rooms to offer, that makes sense. But some on the list would appear to have suites that one would expect to be included in the benefit, I'm curious why the Hyatt Regency Paris for instance is excluded.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, using a confirmed suite upgrade does not negate earning Gold Passport points from spend.

7. Liucoke

Liucoke Silver Member

Status Points:
    Weirdly, I'm staying at both the Hyatt Regency Tulsa and Hyatt Regency Wichita next weekend. Since I had expiring suite upgrades to burn, I called on Feb 29; the agent upgraded me at Tulsa, but said he just got a memo that Wichita wasn't doing upgrades anymore.

I'll report back on what actually happens when I show up in Tulsa; I got an upgrade confirmed email, so they should honor it, but maybe the rooms were eaten by some sort of suite-consuming monster ravaging the heartland.

What makes the inclusion of these two properties exceptionally strange is that I don't think most folks would consider Wichita or Tulsa to be particularly aspirational destinations - it would be fascinating to see a breakdown of upgrades as a percentage of stays, as I suspect these two are fairly far down the list.

Sweet Willie and TheBeerHunter like this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    my thoughts exactly, please let the board know what happened with your stays in Tulsa & Wichita.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  9. DiscoPapa

DiscoPapa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nick, I was a Plat before getting the credit card, so I have two suite upgrades to use. They expire in October. Do I have to redeem them for stays before October, or do I just have to book before October but can use them past their expiration date? Thanks!

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Apply them before they expire, that can be for stays after the expiration date, but you won't be able to change details of the stay and retain the upgrade (in most cases) once the certs have expired

11. Liucoke

Liucoke Silver Member

Status Points:
    Following up, as promised:

The Hyatt Regency in Tulsa did come through with my suite upgrade. They referred to it as a parlor suite, which was really two connected large-ish rooms: one was the "bedroom" suite, with the other being the "living room" suite. This was a fine arrangement, except for the fact that no one told me about it at check-in so I assumed the adjoining door was left open on accident.

It looks like they're doing some renovating at the property (my first clue was at 11:30 at night when I came back to find a painter working on the hallway...) - I'll post a more complete review in its own thread, but the short version is that Diamonds shouldn't feel too disappointed - this property doesn't really know what to do with us anyway.

In Wichita, I was given a pretty standard room (on the second try - the first had a pretty standard room that also happened to be right outside the elevator). I casually asked why they weren't accepting suite upgrades, and the clerk told me that it was because they were a convention hotel without much inventory. Didn't seem like a very solid reason to me, but I'm passing it along because it's the one I got.

tommy777 likes this.
  12. Darrell Roch

Darrell Roch Active Member

Status Points:
    If I use points for a room booking can I also use a suite upgrade?

Kalboz likes this.
  13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sadly, no. But you can spend 50% more points to redeem for a suite.

Kalboz likes this.
  14. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    With a 3-night minimum.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. jtehmom

jtehmom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a room booked at the Chicago Hyatt Regency under the new Elite rate. I called to apply a suite upgrade and then when I received my confirmation the rate had changed from 159.00 to 349.00. Did they make a mistake?

16. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes

17. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should expect two emails.

One showing the new rate immediately and then another one a few hours later where they've manually changed the rate back to your originally booked rate with new room type.

IDGflygirl likes this.