Diamond Medallions - Will it be better?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by gregm, Feb 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

?

With all of the SkyMiles program changes, do you think it will be a better experience for Diamonds?

1. Yes

12.5%
  2. No

87.5%
  1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    With all of the SkyMiles program changes, do you think it will be a better experience for Diamonds?

I should have phrased this better. As a whole, do fellow DMs feel the DM experience will be better for those who survive the changes. All the changes.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't answer until I see redemptions. Although I now need to spend at least $750 to equal out my west coast trips on the RDM side. One of the options needs to be "meh".

rwoman, monitor and gregm like this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should have phrased it…"and using last year's [MQD] financial matrix, do you think the experience will be better?"

4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still "meh"

gregm likes this.
  5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Better for DL, probably. For awards, who can tell at this point. DL can not eliminate Skymiles, since some much of their revenue comes from credit cards and other promotions. In fact, I know lots of folks who don't even bother flying an airline, they'll just use other methods of getting the miles.

Just wait, one day DL will decide that only Diamond medallions get to redeem for F/Biz tickets.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't necessarily mean award travel or SkyMiles redemption. I mean the experience of being top-tier. All I keep hearing is that these changes are supposed to "enhance the experience and exclusiveness of top level SM members."

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have no idea as we don't know all the data yet. Also, the changes are targeted at revenue, not miles flown, so there will be some who do better and some who do worse at every Medallion/elite level.

This week's announcement doesn't change the qualification rules for Medallion levels.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't it the case that at some point, perhaps around 2005, only their top tier elites could use miles to upgrade international tickets? I remember an AmEx promo where they gave you extra miles for converting MR to DL miles, but unless you decided to convert enough to get status as part of the deal, you were limited in how the miles could be used on DL. That's what I vaguely remember, but I might have the time period and some other details wrong.

9. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was a NW elite in those days, so don't know the specifics of the program in those days.

10. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    It think, it'll be about the same because what it takes to reach any of the elite levels hasn't changed --- this time around. The availability of free tickets may change, but I can't imagine how that would be important to people who have to "live" on planes.

What will change is the number of sky pesos you get by doing SRs.

DTWBOB

11. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone here seriously think for one moment that the forthcoming back end of FUBAR - i.e. the new FIVE level table touted by the Jeff or his minions - will provide equal or better redemption opportunities than the current debased table? If so, I can only say, welcome to bubba-ville! Muahaha!

12. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The sky club changes are an improvement. So that's one way it will be better. The in-air experience is, in my opinion, substantially better than UA (I haven't flown AA in years) already. Might it get even better, I suppose it might.

Who knows whether the award charts will be worse or not (though I'm betting they'll be worse in terms of more points)?

Who knows whether there will be more availability? I'm intrigued by the idea that this will be a "hotel program" style redemption scheme which would imply significant improvement, but that's also something I haven't heard about outside of Randy's article.

The real question is whether, once all the dust settles, will DL be far enough above or below the other legacy programs as to make a real differentiator. My guess is probably not, though there may be a couple of years here before UA and the new AA "catch up."

gregm likes this.
  13. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should have phrased my question better....I'm not referencing qualifications, nor the new earning structure, but the DM experience as a whole. I want to know if fellow Diamonds feel if after ALL of these changes will make it a better experience for those of us who survive. I'm not looking for anything else but the opinions of fellow DM regarding the supposed future "exclusivity" of being DM on Delta.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How do you expect that changing the earning of award miles will affect the on-board experience?

Or what else are you including in "ALL of these changes" which will have such an impact??

15. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Over the last year, Delta has made changes to almost every aspect of being a FF. They originally billed these changes (first MQD req and then SkyClub changes) as a way to make the experience of the top tier FF, which would be DM, better and more exclusive. I'm curious if fellow DMs feel our experience as a whole, (upgrades, SC, in-flight, etc) will be better.

16. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? Over the past year they've gutted the free booze, removed the craft beer even if you wanted to pay, cheapened the snacks, increased the price and they continue to outsource the staff so overall, at least in my experience, the clubs are much less friendly and much dirtier. Then they throw a few crumbs back to us and we now can think they've improved the clubs? We have such short memories.

17. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't look at me, I've only been flying DL since last fall. I really do have a short memory. ;) I could tell you all the ways the United Club sucks....

WilliamQ, bigx0 and gregm like this.
  18. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also, I shouldn't drink beer and don't really drink liquor.

The free wine, which I do drink, is the exact same plonk as all along.

And a free manicure or massage and somewhat better food are notable improvements beyond what's going on at the bar.

gregm likes this.
  19. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't drink much, especially while traveling. Barring IRROPS or unavoidable long layovers, I wouldn't be in a SC long enough for a mani/pedi. I would, however, like to see some decent food. I'm about fed up with cheap bagels, oatmeal (that I don't eat) and 37 varieties of "snack mix". I would love to be able to sit down and have a decent snack or light meal OTW to work or home as I begin my week very early Monday and arrive home late Thursday.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you're not in the lounge long enough for the 15 minutes it takes for a manicure are you really going to enjoy a real meal??

21. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know where you get your manicures, but it takes longer than 15 minutes anywhere I've ever been, and I go weekly. And I said "light meal", meaning in-between an enhanced snack and a real, full meal.

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The shops in NYC. Rarely in there more than 30 minutes including the 15 minute back rub.

23. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, Seth I know you do fly a lot ...do you fly Delta? Are you Diamond?

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes and no.

I do "spread the love" around a decent amount but mostly Star Alliance, followed by oneworld and then SkyTeam and independents. I do a lot of JetBlue for more "local" traffic as they're very convenient for me in NYC and I happen to love the product. But my priorities when flying are likely a bit different from many others'. I don't really care much about complimentary upgrades and I fly in coach a lot, even on long-haul flights (100k+ miles in Y last year; 28k in Y so far this year). To me the "experience" of flying is mostly divorced from the "experience" of the FF program.

25. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if not a DM, I'm not sure why you weighed in on this thread as a "we"! I'm also a little confused....why participate in, so emphatically, something primarily designed for those who want to maximize those points, miles and upgrades (MP) when , as you stated, those are not priorities. If I'm giving up 8-12 hours a week traveling plus 4-5 nights away from home, those perks make a difference. I can understand if you have a true love of traveling, but why not reap every benefit?