Diamond in asian conrads

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by de52king, Jul 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. de52king

de52king Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I've got an upcoming trip where I will be staying in a couple Conrads in Asia. I am gold now, but I was hoping to garner insight as to whether spending $40,000 on the reserve card (plus opportunity cost) was worth it for diamond status for these stays. Thank you for your thoughts!

Kalboz, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The differences between Diamond and Gold are small in the Hilton HHonors program generally. Although it's helpful at some hotels, it does very much vary by hotels.

Gold gets you breakfast or club lounge, and maybe a modest upgrade. Diamond isn't really entitled to much more, but at the Conrad Hong Kong you'll likely get a better view and at the Conrad Bali if occupancy permits they may upgrade you to a non-view suite in the Conrad Suites wing... it's very much availability-dependent though.

Kalboz, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that there are substantive differences between HH Golds and Diamonds, but that horse has already been beaten to death.

I stayed 4 times at Conrad HKG between Dec 2012 and early Jan 2013 as a HH Diamond and got a suite upgrade with a view each time. I also stayed at Conrad BKK in January on a reward stay and was upgraded to a suite. As a HH Diamond you get the exec lounge regardless, and are always upgraded to the exec floor. Suites are the icing on the cake...

I think that the real question is whether you would be traveling enough to make the Diamond status worth it. If the answer is yes, then the next question is, would it be better to make Diamond by spending $12K on stays or $40K on the Citi Reserve? If you do not do a lot of traveling, then the free Gold status that you have through the Citi Reserve should be good enough, especially in Asia.

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I have not missed a suite upgrade yet as a diamond. As stated above it depends on how much you travel, but spending the 40k on the Reserve card will also get you a decent amounts of points. My suite upgrades were also on point stays as well as paid stays.

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the additional value of Diamond status is greater in Asia than it is in USA. You are more likely to get an upgraded room, and you are guaranteed to have lounge access even if you are not on the club level. Generally that gets you an evening cocktail hour with nice hors d'oeuvres.

Breakfast and internet will be the same as Gold.

uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  6. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a thought, de52king, do have enough stays/nights during this trip to consider a Diamond challenge ? if so, you get Diamond status for the Asia trip, and beyond...

Kalboz likes this.
  7. de52king

de52king Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for the responses! I will be staying exclusively on points while in Asia. I did a diamond challenge with Hyatt, but used my current HH gold for that challenge. How would in request a diamond challenge? Just ask? What if my gold status is held besides that of mattress runs/stays?

Kalboz likes this.
  8. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Conrad Tokyo twice as a Diamond member and got Executive Floor privileges but no upgrade. The lounge there is very nice, but you could buy that privilege when you book.

Kalboz likes this.