"Diamond Force"

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by TravellingScholar, Feb 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravellingScholar

TravellingScholar Active Member

Status Points:
    I keep reading about people using a "diamond force" when there is no availability.

Can someone explain exactly what this is and how it works? Can you force an availability at any time? Is it only for cash or can you pay with points as well? Is there a certain lead-time you need to give the diamond desk? Does it always work?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

deant likes this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have to have Diamond status to be eligible for this benefit and with it you can always get a room, albeit at a high rate, possibly twice what a good discount rate would get you at another time when they're not as busy.

Not exactly cost effective, but if you *really* have to be at a certain location at a specific time...

I've been able to get a reservation using points at a full Hilton the night of a major sporting event and if I sign on without entering my Hilton number, the hotel shows as being unavailable..

DTWBOB

deant likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK let clear up the confusion here.:)

A "Diamond force" or to use the correct name a Diamond Special Request is a benefit available as stated in its name, to HH Diamonds only.
    The benefit is the guarantee that HH will secure the member a room in a sold out hotel unless the hotel in under a "Extraordinary Demand date period" . This benefit applies only to PAID STAYS and the room rate will be at the Rack Rate for the particular class of room secured. Generally the above type of request is confimed immediately.

A few years ago HH expanded this to include award rooms. If a property is sold out of the listed "standard rooms" the type designated as award rooms, you could make a DSR (obviously there would be other rooms for sale) then HH will agree to submit your request which often takes up to a week to confirm.
    The procedure here is that HH would submit a cash offer to the property in question to secure you one of the remaining rooms. Its always up to the hotel to accept or refuse this offer, but once refused the HH Diamond desk has no recourse.
    There will be times when the DD will refuse to submit such a request when the rates of the remaining rooms on inventory are higher than HH is prepared to reimburse the property in question.
    Note if you sign at HH to retreive an award which is not visible without inserting your HH diamond number or even if you see the caption "May be available for Diamonds.. call HHonors" and you are then able to secure a room by calling in.
    this is not a Diamond Special request... fact is HH has always reserved some inventory for Diamonds only

It would be remiss of me for not comment regarding the somewhat misguided but quite common adage banded around here even before HH beefed up its benefit to Diamonds " HH gold same as Diamond" :rolleyes:

deant likes this.
  4. TravellingScholar

Status Points:
    Regarding the DSR for award rooms: is the request refused often or is it mostly accepted? I'm hoping some people have personal experiences to share. Most of my travel will be done in Asia.

deant likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is where your problem lies going forward.

I have made I guess some 30 or more DSR's for award rooms in the past and NOT ONE has been refused.
    But none within the last five months :)
    Recently however its been rumored by various posters that the award room DSR is being phased out (this by information provided over the phone) but the details regarding DSRs still can be found on hilton.com and members have reported even within the last few days of securing such.

With the roll-out of awards for Premium rooms by HH the belief is that they are in fact intended to supplant award DSRs.
    I suppose the only way to find out is to call HH and ask, but it does appear based on whats been reported ( and logic of the circumstances) that if awards are available for Premium rooms the request for a DSR will be denied.

I will say however I have long wondered with the increasing popularity of the award DSRs whether HH would indeed continue it in the previous form especailly when two i secured which comes readily to mind .....were five nights at the Cavalieri where HH reimbursed the hotel some like 685 euros per night or three nights at the Conrad Punta del Este at $700 per night.:)

deant likes this.
  6. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    question about the DSR during Extraordinary Demand: does it benefit a Diamond to try calling the hotel directly? just wondering if i could offer up some sort of deal to get the nights i want.

i struck out with the Diamond HH desk yesterday for both revenue and award nights. i have the bookend nights already booked but need the middle part. i even offered to "hotel hop" just to get a room here or there as which hotel in the same area didn't matter. there is none, nada, nothing open even for Diamonds. (which kinda stinks b/c last year i was able to arrange, through the Diamond Desk this same deal.)

deant likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Diamond Force" was never part of the T & C. Now it has been codified in the new T & C for paid rooms and standard rewards....

deant likes this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This statement is patently incorrect .. really now:rolleyes:

deant likes this.
  9. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This works, I used it ths last week, online. Prelogin all hotels were sold out, logged in and searched I was offered a standard room reward, was like some Diamond 48H thing. Pretty nifty

deant likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Yes, really now:rolleyes:... Which part of my statement is "patently incorrect"... While DSR was in the T & C, so-called "Diamond Force" (DF) was always an unstated benefit. But looking at how you defined DF, I think that the confusion comes from the fact that you believe DF = DSR as stated in old versions of T & C... hardly.

The latest T & C have codified DF into a benefit (including the fact that it applies to standard rewards) for the first time so that now DF = DSR.

11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Never hurts to call but I suspect that you have the same result - we are booked solid.

Blue Skye likes this.
  12. TravellingScholar

Status Points:
    The original reason I was asking is because I'm wondering if it's worth it to push 40k through the Amex surpass this year for diamond status. The other option is Marriott Gold + SPG Gold + Hyatt Plat. I only have enough spending power for one or the other. Almost all of the points I'd be earning will come from CC spend. I travel a couple times a year on leisure, mostly in higher end hotels in Asia. Availability for me is key. If I can't get rooms when I need them then it's basically useless to me. Any comments on which of the two options I'd be better off pursuing?

13. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the PAST Ive always gotten a room using my pts even though the Hotel was soldout of standard rooms or completely soldout,as long as it wasnt due to a Special Event

However last year HH redid a few things so now unless the Hotel is completely soldout of all its rooms , theres no longer a Force using your pts, instead they will tell you to use 999,999 pts for a Suite or Jr Suite as long as there is something available for sale.

Of cause no one will do that so they Weasled there way out of having to pay top $$ to the Hotel in order to get you a room

14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tell you what I will not get into any further discussions regarding the HH program... you are wasting my time yet again.

But as a final point I will state that the expression "Diamond Force" has techically never existed in the lexican of HH CSRs ( sometimes a csr might say "we will force a room for you" but if you actually had made one such request instead of just talking about it you might have found out that the expression used as far back as 2004 when I made my first one was "Diamond Special Request" ... understand?

15. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, Hilton has eliminated the Diamond Force for award rooms. Now points and premium rooms become the option for booking in these cases. If others still are able to book DSA award rooms, please post back here, and I am happy for your success.

16. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The DSR still exists for certain properties ( if you read FT there are multiple reported examples of members securing such) I know of two successful instances within the last few weeks.

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The expression "Diamond Force" has clearly had different meaning for different folks. DSR has been in the T &C for a long time and it has evolved over the years. Until the latest T&C, DF was not something that was explicitly stated but it was NOT the same thing as DSR. The way to sort this out would be to compare the old and latest T&Cs side-by-side, with a common understanding of what DF means.

However, considering the history of how you have argued some aspect of the HH program here and at FT, the feeling that it is a waste of time to engage one another is something that we definitely agree on. So, "no further discussions" sounds like music to my ears....

18. dmc730

dmc730 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Diamond Force is a special operations force, operating out of a secret location believed to be in an abandoned mine somewhere is western PA. When you call this number, they quickly access who has reservations at the hotel you are requesting. After obtaining pertinent info such as address, eye color and make of vehicle, they send a team of operatives known as "The Ninjas" to the location where the person with the reservation has an "accident" thereby making the room available for Diamond members.

JLSocks likes this.
  19. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For anyone wondering my stay I had here is what my email says about it..

Reward Redemption Information:

Redemption Type:

HHONORS REWARD

HHonors Reward ID:

35,000 Points

Total Number of Points per Stay:

35,000 Points

Rate Type:

48 GUARANTEE-POINTS

Rate per night:

Confidential Rate

The one thing was it had to be booked 48hours in adv by midnight of the previous day. Didn't try to search again the next to see what options it would give. I just looked at completely blocked hotel before also and it gave me a 48H diamond rate.

There are no rooms available for standard reservations on 05 Jun 2012 - 11 Jun 2012 at Hilton Nashville Downtown. Because you are an HHonors® Diamond VIP, you can choose from the rooms shown below,
    view a list of available dates
    at this hotel across a 2-week range, or
    view nearby hotels.

hoho i can book the hotel I wanted at a full 50k/night oof. must think now