Diamond Club & Avios

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by Euan, Apr 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the face of it the offer from BA to DC members looks pretty good. I don't imagine there will be many complaints.

uggboy likes this.
  2. kraken

kraken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Status matching is great but no more great destinations using cash+miles.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's fair now indeed to either figure out what to do with my 100k+ DC miles or I can just add it to my 150k Avios. The latter causes some loss in value, but given that they were easy to get in the first place I don't feel too bad.

4. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will add my 300k DC miles to my Avios total. If I use them for TATL upgrades and EU Reward Savers I should get good value out of the accumulation for quite a while.

The more difficult immediate choice is which number to put in my domestic bmi bookings for the near future.
    I'll fly bmi if I have a choice because LHR T1 is easier for me than T5, but...
    * booked as BA I get 1000 Avios and 20 Tier points in H or above.
    * booked as BD the same flight will earn up to 1200 Avios-to-be and no status of relevance.
    * booked as BD with my OZ number I get 330-412 OZ Miles and Status (until 31 May).

I'm already BA Gold and wont fly enough to renew that, so there is no imperative to earn BA Silver for next year when I will get a soft landing to it anyway, so the BA tier points aren't that important.
    I am OZ Diamond through Dec 2015 with over 18 months to go to up that to OZ Diamond Plus. There will be no *A domestic UK earning options after May 31st.

All in all I think BA has been more generous than most dared hope, but it sure is confusing:rolleyes:

5. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miles in the new form look devalued to me, given the disadvantageous tariff requirement and the reported paucity of front cabin space. It was good while it lasted, my thanks due to BMI DC.

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've now received emails from both BA and BD about transferring my BD miles to AVIOS points and tried both sets of links but am unable to get into the transaction because I get a "timed out" notice when I try to log into my BD account on the screen provided. Anyone else have this problem?

7. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did the transfer a couple of days ago, just had a little problem where the link they gave in the email did not work. It kept saying the page I was trying to open wasn't available, but I kept trying and finally it was ok. No other problems.

8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll keep trying over the weekend, but if I can't get it to work, then maybe the call centre can do the transfer. I'll never get status in the BA program since I has AA ExecPlat and through my Amex Platinum card will have CX Gold as long as its part of that card's benefits. However, my Canadian RBVisa card does have a transfer to Avios and each year has a 50% bonus for transfers. This will be a good "slush fund" for short haul awards between YYZ and JFK or ORD to hook up with MRs on AA, or intra-Australian flights on QF. Cashed out most of my BD miles for an intra-Asian C award so not many left but enough to get an award from BA, albeit on a carrier where the additional fees are moderate or lower.

9. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried not using the links in the email, but just logging in to your BAEC account and using the navigation there? You need to go to Manage My Account. Then Combine My Avios should be the bottom link in the list in the centre section of the page.

I don't myself see why there's any rush to do this. I know that BA are still fixing some bugs.

10. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have moved most of my DC miles to Avios, but I'm still crediting the Hilton stays at 1K per night to bmi. Hopefully that earning rate and the gateway to convert it to Avios will remain open for a while.

tommy777 likes this.
  11. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    In previous statements I saw, BD miles could be converted to Avios and vice versa. However, I've only seen the BD->BA option. Am I missing the reverse?

12. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. When the transfer facility was actually implemented, it was one-way only. This made sense, too, because of the non-BA redemption options still available for the time being through BDDC. But it did disappoint some people who had been hoping (on the back of earlier BAEC statements of intent) that it would be a two-way facility.

13. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was trying to transfer my wife's BMI account to BA Avios. However, the account information didn't match. (BA is our home address & BMI was her work address). I updated the account at BMI and it said that the info may not update for 28 days. I tried to transfer again and the same error message appeared (accounts don't match).

Should I call BA as the error message advised or just wait for the account to update in a month or so? Thoughts.

14. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are the email addresses the same in both accounts?

If yes, then I'd call bmi and check they have DOB correct. [There have been reports of people having problems because DOB doesn't match - because BMI did not have the DOB at all, or it just held a system default.]

If the email addresses do not match, I'd consider changing the BA one to match the bmi one temporarily (assuming it is also an email address you still have access to) rather than changing the bmi email, just because BAs system are in a better state than bmi systems.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  15. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been having the same problems and no one seems to know what each system has in terms of DOB or emails. In one account I get to : "combine my Avios" while in the other account that link does not even show up under "manage my account". So far customer service at BA seems clueless. Best they offer is "try again tomorrow".

16. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The email addresses are not the same. One has my wife's work info, and one has her personal info.

I will change the BA address and see how that goes.

17. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I changed the email address at BA and the transfer worked just fine.

Now I just need to know how long the Hilton 1,000 points a night for 3 nights last.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just tried to move my Diamond Club miles over to BA. But the "Combine my Avios" link that's supposed to be on the "Manage My Account" Executive Club page isn't there. Anyone know what the issue is?

19. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does this direct link work for you?
    https://www.britishairways.com/travel/combine-avios/execclub/_gf/en_gb

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  20. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just did the transfer from BMI Diamond Club to BA.

On BA site, go to "Manage My Account", then "Combine My Avios" is in the center section of the screen, half way down the page (not on the left side as I was expecting).

Then, you get to a page titled "Combine Avios points". At the bottom of that page, in a red oval, are the words Combine my Avios. You click on that red oval.

The first time I tried it, it didn't work and it brought me back to the same page.

I had to hold down the "CTRL" key on my keyboard while clicking on the link for the new page to open. And Voila! I got to the transfer page and did the transfer from BMI.

I hope that's helpful and I hope it works for you.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. No, it doesn't.

But I think I figured out what the problem is: my BA account doesn't have my Date of Birth. I had one family member account with DoB and their account had the Combine option, so I just added APIS data (can't just add DoB apparently) to my wife's account and it made the Combine Avios link appear for her, too. I'll do the same for my account later today and see if I can actually transfer my miles.

For me "Combine My Avios" was missing in the center section. That's where I was looking.

Interesting side-note: I sent an email to BA support via their website and they were clueless (and slow) and directed me to call customer service.

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Alright, I am done with Diamond Club. Just boosted my Avios by a nice chunk of miles.

For the fellow procrastinators out there... Oct 28 is the deadline, I think. Get it done now!

23. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I think the deadline is 31 December 2012 for non-UK and non-SWP members.

For those with UK and SWP addresses, Diamond Club continues indefinitely for the moment, although with little utility - earn only from UK MBNA credit cards, use only by transfer to BAEC. However, this could also be of use to those with UK and SWP addresses in case an already-issued award has to be cancelled. If you're a non-UK non-SWP member and you cancel an award after DC has closed for you, then the current stated position is that you will get no refund of the miles used.

On 28 October 2012, there will however be a new website: www.diamondclub.org.

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, yes, you're of course right. Here's what the email said:

As part of the ongoing transition of bmi into British Airways, we have been looking at the future plans for Diamond Club and after very careful consideration we have taken the decision to close Diamond Club for members outside of the UK and South West Pacific on 31 December 2012.

As a result of the decision to close Diamond Club, we would like to announce the following changes.

From 27 October 2012, the following benefits will no longer be available:

• Earning and spending your destinations miles on bmi operated flights with a bmi flight number
    • Earning and spending your destinations miles on airline partners British Airways, Jet Airways, Qatar Airways
    and Transaero Airlines
    • Earning destinations miles on bmi hotel partners, WorldPoints, through American Express Membership
    Rewards or when you shop online
    • Buying destinations miles
    • Upgrading your flight with destinations miles
    • Earning status miles

From 27 October 2012 until 31 December 2012, you will be able to do the following:

• If you are a Diamond Club Gold or Silver member, you can apply for matching tier status within the Executive
    Club at ba.com/tiermatch

• Transfer destinations miles into Executive Club Avios at ba.com/diamondclub

• Gold and Silver members can also continue to access the bmi and selected British Airways lounges at
    London Heathrow and London Gatwick

25. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bah Humbug. Last day and "combine my avios" is missing for me also. It was also missing when I tried earlier in the month. Oh well, it's only 3K miles.