Diamond benefit - room is always available with Hyatt's 48-hour guarantee

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Sweet Willie, Apr 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    In all the years of travel, I've been fortunate enough to have never needed to force a reservation.

Some last minute travel this week has changed this, I was quite pleased to find out how easy it was and how 'reasonable' ($319) the rate was for a last minute reservation to a sold out hotel.

thanks Hyatt !!

sendaiben likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Indeed, I used a Diamond Guaranteed Reservation this past weekend at the Andaz Wall Street and the rate was $240. This is actually a very little-known differentiator between Hyatt and other chains offering a supposedly similar benefit. At other chains the rate is based on rack, at Hyatt it's the Hyatt Daily Rate. I've never used it with another chain, now I actually hope that the hotels sell out much of the time because the rate can go down when booking this way rather than booking one of the last rooms actually 'available' :D

Sweet Willie likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have seen this rate as high as $349 for a property that averages in the low-$200s. But, more often than not, as gleff states above, the rate is really pretty reasonable. I don't think I ever took advantage of this in my years as a SPG Plat.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one time that I attempted something similar with my SPG Plat status, I was very happy. Initially the hotel I wanted either wasn't available or was available only at an unreasonable rate, so I booked a different but nearby Starwood property. This was a mistake and there were some serious problems beyond the promised lounge being closed. I called the SPG Plat line and explained the situation even though it was too late to cancel the hotel I had. I asked if they could force me a room at the completely full place I liked, knowing that it was also too late to do this. The Plat concierge called both hotels and got me a cancellation waiver for the first and a room in the better hotel for a very reasonable rate, technically a rate for a deluxe room so that I avoided having a base-level room for the night (but I didn't get a suite). Of course, this case wasn't technically a use of the published force benefit, but I thought it was handled very well.