Diamond amenity?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by thegrailer, Apr 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I am at the PH Shanghai and am underwhelmed by the amenity. A mango pastry and some cookies (forgot what they are called). I was also informed that the beverage part of the amenity is the coffee/tea provided in every room. This interesting comment was verified by the manager currently on duty. I hope I am not expecting too much but this is my first PH stay without at least one bottle of wine (champagne at PH Zurich over New Years 2009).

Thoughts?

Cheers

gleff likes this.
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds similar to the "Diamond Amenity" I got at the Hyatt Regency Mainz...

[​IMG]

paladin87, lwkatya, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow - that sucks!

uggboy likes this.
  4. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amenities at international Hyatts are truly a shame. I wish the would offer the option to choose an amenity like in the US.

uggboy likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends very much on the property. I have gotten bottles of wine and other amenities that were worth more than 1000 points. The infamous Mainzer apples, however, I left untouched.

Ultimately I try to not look at the amenity by itself, but at the overall experience. E.g., in Mainz I got plenty of "drink and food" at the Regency Club three rooms down the hall (plus full breakfast buffet at the restaurant), so it's not like I didn't get enough tasty calories for my Euro 120/night rate.

lwkatya, uggboy and FriendlySkies like this.
  6. jim5518

jim5518 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mainz had a decent regency club with great service. Made it easier to overlook the apples. I laughed when I first entered the club and saw a big bowl of green apples.

uggboy likes this.
  7. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have to disagree - and maybe that is why I was disappointed in Shanghai (?). PHs in Paris and Zurich have been fantastic for Diamond amenities. PH MEL wasn't as good but still very nice. PH Shanghai - not so good. And the hotel's replies to my questions didn't help with the manager reaffirming that the in room tea/coffee set up was the drink amenity. Other than that, PH Shanghai was very nice.

Cheers

uggboy likes this.
  8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, I usually only get a standard fruit plate and/or cookies at Asian Hyatts. Box of chocolates if I'm lucky. I've only received bottles of wine from GH Macau. I also wish I could just choose points like in the US.

lwkatya and uggboy like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are not Diamond, but Platinum. At the Hyatt Regency Incheon during our two stays on each occasion we received pralines, half bottle of wine and fruits. Plus on our second stay in April 2011 we received also to our surprise a great upgrade to a top floor Club Level room and had free breakfast in the Regency Club Lounge which came with a choice of two hot items, plus continental breakfast spread. Superb and wonderful service going above and beyond at Hyatt!:)

lwkatya likes this.
  10. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Without dragging this OT: My room upgrade wasn't all that special either at the PH Shanghai. While I did get an upgrade to a "deluxe" room, a deluxe Bund view was available and I was told that I could not have it [I know b/c I asked at check in] I did not get the best available room

uggboy likes this.
  11. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is an area where Hyatt could improve internationally.

Halothane and uggboy like this.
  12. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most definitely. I'd rather have the points over anything I've ever received internationally.

chanp likes this.
  13. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes

14. Isn't it time like these that you would consider switching hotel brands? I guess it depends how much you value it. Still I'd be disappointed to receive that as a top elite in a hotel brand.

15. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Outside of the Americas, Hyatt's "Diamond Amenity" is more myth than real as most other guests in that same room would have ordinarily gotten the same item(s) even when not having Diamond status.

Along with upgraded accommodation type, it's the free internet and included breakfast that have me consider Hyatt outside of the US. "Diamond amenity" is not a factor since the "Diamond amenity" is more mythical than real in markets beyond the Americas.

I do find that where the "Diamond amenity" is more myth than real, those hotels tend to be more miserly with providing upgraded accommodation types even when better rooms are available.

16. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I have to agree. My wife and do not drink, so we never use the wine which we often receive. I would rather just get 1k points.

17. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was at the PH Shanghai in April last year and I believe they gave my girlfriend and I a bottle of wine in the room plus some pastries or cookies.... or that could have been the PH Beijing. It wasn't anything amazing but did get wine.... which we didn't touch as we're not big drinkers.

I do think that the big advantage is the great breakfast which they provide to Diamond members and at the PH Shanghai, it's a very nice thing to wake up to. Considering this was all on free night certs, we definitely enjoyed our stay.

thegrailer likes this.
  18. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    The hotels are thrilled with the VIP apple amenities as they last for months
    They make the round of 30 diamond guests before someone actually eats one or takes it along with them :)

gleff, Halothane and jmrich1432 like this.
  19. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, the breakfast was fantastic.

20. danray

danray Silver Member

Status Points:
    Diamond Member - Recently stayed at Park Hyatt Shanghai and was disappointed compared to prior visits. I don't think they read the notes or comments sections. Requested a Bund view room and mentioned my wife and I were celebrating our anniversary. No view room. No mention of Anniversary. Hotel itself is amazing. The biggest weakness to us was the food. Lobby bar has limited menu. 100 Century is so noisy it's like an assault. Ended up having buffet type dinner at The Pantry. Next morning my wife says, "I think that was the worst meal we have ever had." I agreed.

21. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it's me but I never tend to stay at my hotel for meals when I'm vacationing. The best places are where the locals go and those almost never tend to be at hotels or the heavy expat areas. I'm happy to get a nice meal before I head out for the day and then hit up places for juicy pork dumplings and noodle soups while I'm in Shanghai... that and foot massage spas.

iloveawardtravel likes this.