DIA area shuttle to Boulder

Discussion in 'DEN | Denver International Airport' started by TRHiker, Jun 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRHiker

TRHiker Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have a foreign visitor arriving at DIA very late on Saturday. Due to her late arrival time, she is staying at one of the airport hotels that night. On Sunday, I need to arrange for her to get to the Gunbarrel (north of Boulder) area. She would prefer to be picked up from the hotel rather than going back to the airport if possible. I would prefer to avoid the $100-$150 limo services. SuperShuttle might be able to handle it, but apparently there is only one person who can arrange a point-to-point service in Boulder, and she has not returned a message left 6-7 hrs ago. I called back to the main SS line, and they seem to have no way to know whether she is working, on vacation, etc. My question is whether there are other shuttle/shared-ride services serving Boulder/Niwot/Gunbarrel that you can recommend? There seem to be more than 20 on DIA's website, many with low reviews (not that I place a lot of trust in such reviews, either good or bad, since there can be some manipulation going on).

Thanks,
    TRHiker

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell her to rent a car?

3. TRHiker

TRHiker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should have mentioned: college intern from Europe. Probably too young to rent and no experience driving in the States.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point, definitely not a good idea to have her drive, even if it's possible. However, why does she need to overnight near DEN? Wouldn't it be easier to just travel to her final destination directly from the airport, even if it is late, as long as door-to-door service is arranged? I think it would be more tiring to make one's way to an airport hotel for a night and then need to travel further the next day.

savydog likes this.
  5. TRHiker

TRHiker Silver Member

Status Points:
    A lot of that is due to my preferences and experiences, as I am doing much of the arranging on this end. At best, if her flight is on time, she would probably not be leaving the airport until after 11PM, following a day of transatlantic travel (my guess in coach). I have been in the situation of almost missing (by about 1 minute) the last Supershuttle at DIA when my flight was delayed and baggage was delayed further. I am better at it now than I was then, but it would have been frustrating for me to have found other transportation short of a cab for probably $120+ (I don't recall what, but most rental car companies at the airport were sold out, which was why I wason SS in the first place.)

Assuming I had already been up 24 hours or more straight and much of it in coach and that it might take another 90-120 minutes to reach the hotel on SS depending on other stops, I would choose, and actually have chosen, to get to a bed as quickly as possible on arrival, especially when I had no commitments the next morning. For people I know and know their habits and tolerances, I may have gone the route you suggest, but not in this case.

savydog likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is cost an issue? Can you arrange a car service to meet her at whatever hour and deliver her to the Boulder hotel, where I suspect she's getting a discounted long term rate, probably considerably less than a single night in an acceptable airport hotel. My own clear preference after a long flight would be to get to the long term hotel and collapse and then to begin settling in the next day and exploring the area at my leisure. Spending a short night in a different hotel where it would be necessary to unpack and repack a bit would not be pleasant at all. If the young lady is an inexperienced traveler, figuring out the hotel shuttle or getting a cab for a short distance very late at night when exhausted and in an unfamiliar place would be almost scary, I don't know specifically about DEN, but some airport hotels can be badly managed, run down, and disreputable. Is their shuttle service safe and reliable very late at night?

I'd be concerned that even if SuperShuttle agrees to pick her up at her hotel the next day near the airport, they might then drive into the airport and make her sit in the van for a VERY long time before leaving for Boulder. However, I admit that I don't have a very favorable impression of the company based on their service at MSP. I also recall seeing very long lines at their DEN check in desk all four times I came through that airport in 2011.

savydog likes this.
  7. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    The car service i used back when i still lived in Boulder was ~ $75, this was about 4 years ago. If you want call up a couple of car service providers and check, the rates might still be around $75-85 range. Car services in CO are usually the same price or lower than cabs as the airport is far enough away for them to be competitive. If you want, I can check with my car service provider how much he charges for DIA-Boulder?

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you decide on the car service, be sure to use an established company, ideally one you know. In some localities, they're totally unregulated and can be a little questionable, although the same can be true for taxicabs. Remember that the passenger will be a very young woman from abroad who may not have much travel experience or street smarts applicable in the USA. Make sure there's a secure way for her to meet up with her driver at DIA. (It can cost a lot more for the driver to come into the terminal with a sign, but your intern might not have a cell phone that works in the US yet and she'll probably have a lot of luggage for the summer. Will she do customs and immigration at DEN or elsewhere?)

9. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Easiest would be a cab/car service from point to point. Probably around $100-120.

Cheapest would be RTD from DEN to Boulder or Westminster, then whatever transportation is available to the hotel (cab, RTD, acquaintance picks her up etc). Total cost probably $30 or less.

I don't think there's much middle ground. If you have to go back to the airport and can't choose your exact arrival location you might as well go with RTD here. Mass transit in the Denver area (including private services such as CME) is primarily designed for people who live here to get to and from work, or to and from the ski towns.

10. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't agree more, always use a car service you trust (also the reason i don't use cabs every week to go and come back from the airport.

IMHO using a ride share would not be a good idea for someone visiting for the first time. RTD although very reliable and safe, has the same issue of timing (waiting for the bus, reaching boulder fairly late, arranging a cab from the rtd station etc.)

I am assuming that picking her up from the airport is not a feasible option, although its probably the safest / most convenient option.

11. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    If she can get back to the airport she can take SkyRide AB (at least that is from Boulder to DEN, might be different letter on the way back), and then at the station in Boulder transfer to the 205. While I have not done this, I have looked into doing it as I am like 30 seconds away from a 205 stop in Gunbarrel. Probably the safest option.

Update: I just looked it up, and based on the time, Google/RTD/Bing has a slightly different suggestion: http://bit.ly/ogsdOL

12. TRHiker

TRHiker Silver Member

Status Points:
    In June I came across a company Chase Limousines which seemed to have better prices (around $100 incl. tip each way) than others between DIA and East Boulder area. Driver was very good (and was texting savvy), and car was virtually spotless for my trips to and from airport. www.chaselimousines.com If I was going to be away again long enough that driving, tolls, and parking might to exceed limo costs, I would use them again.

13. andrewhyde

andrewhyde Active Member

Status Points:
    RTD every hour is generally how I get to Boulder from DEN.

14. keishahogson

keishahogson New Member

Status Points:
    I think there is really a shuttle to boulder then and you don't need to worry about it.

Regards,
    Keisha