DFW / SEA Award Ticket Mistake?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by malikguy, Nov 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently booked a Mile SAAver ticket to Seattle without thinking about it too much and I think made a mistake about the usage of 50K miles. The cash price for a P ticket was $735 round trip. Should I cancel the ticket and pay the $150 reinstatement fee and rebook as a cash ticket or should I just take it as a lesson learned, do better next time? 50K points for a J ticket to LHR is worth nearly $2,500.

Thanks for the feedback in advance!!

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    honestly i'd never use 50k miles for a domestic ticket besides the jfk-lax/sfo transcon... definitely save it for a better experience!

wrxmom, daemon14 and marcwint55 like this.
  3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Points are always more valuable for international premium cabins, if you can find them, than anything else. The paid ticket also earns miles and points toward elite status. I don't think I'd pay the $150 on top of the fare to cancel it, but you've learned a lesson for next time

malikguy and marcwint55 like this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    In any event you might over estimating the value of 50k miles .... one can always buy 50k miles from AA for $1350 under normal circumstances or $962 with current promo.

malikguy, MX, JonNYC and 1 other person like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    you didn't get the greatest value out of your miles, but I would not pay anything to re-instate them. you will at best be breaking even if you do that with the cost of miles at present.

malikguy, wrxmom and JonNYC like this.
  6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that redeeming miles on international premium cabins are more valuable. However, I've used my miles multiple times on domestic flights because paid airfares were high and I didn't have the money to pay for the flights. For example, airfares between Indianapolis and Seattle during my winter break two years ago were going for ~$1,200 in Economy. My situation might be different from most of MPers since I'm a college student and don't have much disposable income compared to most of you.

7. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't have wanted to spend $750 on a domestic flight so using miles is a viable option no matter how their valued.
    This semi-retired rancher MPer ( do ranchers ever get to really retire) has to watch her spending too. So save your $150 and enjoy the fresh oysters in Seattle.

8. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't put it/explain it any better than this.

9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    "'m a college student and don't have much disposable income "
    Secret of success.

10. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tha
    Thanks for all of the responses! I have decided to keep the flight on points. I'm with the rest of you guys and just really can't get myself to pay the $150 to get my points back and it wasn't terrible use of the points from what I've read. Thanks again!

marcwint55 likes this.