DFW-HNL/OGG but no HNL/OGG-DFW?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mrredskin, Jul 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    DFW-OGG/HNL is fine, and I have it on hold while I finalize a few other things, but I'm guessing AA doesn't want me to return on another 763 to DFW. I've found nothing out of either island around the dates I'm searching. Is this a common theme with HI awards, or are the return dates just released a lot later than the outbound?

Horse likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what common theme you are referring to but there are two daily 763 HNL/DFW flights daily since these are usually in high demand its quite possible that inventory has already been taken up which is not a rarity in HI ( and which applies tor all awards and for most carriers to boot).

Since you did not provide dates for your trip its difficult to speculate whether awards will be available for your return trip.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  3. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been searching every day for the past several weeks when new inventory is supposedly being released. so, any day in mid-late June.

Horse likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Supposedly is the key word in your post. 330 days out is the earliest day at which AA could release inventory, but is by no means the exact date on which awards appear.

Even if AA did actually release some seats at 330 days, the popularization of the "330 day mantra" for award searches means you're most likely not the only person searching for some of those coveted seats on one of the few AA widebodies into Hawaii with a nice premium cabin.

Best to keep vigilant. Set an alert for award space if you use a service that allows it. Otherwise check regularly. It might be a few days, a few weeks, or even a few months, but chances are you'll see something open up.

mrredskin likes this.
  5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks. I just found it odd that there were several outbound options but nothing on the return.

does anyone have experience booking a similar itinerary and having to wait a while to book the return?

alerts have been created :)

Horse likes this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    As stated above your assumption that inventory is released 330 days out incorrect I would out on a limb here and say AA rarely if ever releases popular awards at the 330 for two or so year now (technically its actually 332 days but who is counting:))

The best way to go about this is to indentify a pattern of release if for example you are looking for Milesaver awards
    (note that there seems to be tendency to release AAnytime awards on the same flights much earlier) find the latest date these appear to be available and if it is say at 320 days, then keeping looking each succeeding day and a quite descernible pattern will emerge.
    Using the above method I have able to predict quite accurately the exact date I am likely to find my return award seats.

mrredskin likes this.
  7. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    this could be very useful. i'll give it a try. thank you!

8. Ed74

Ed74 Active Member

Status Points:
    I can never seem to find the DFW/OGG (Flight 7 I think) as a reward seat. Same with the reverse. Always tries to put me into LAX or even ORD and then over to Hawaii. Similar results with the DFW/HNL

Guess the direct either way is just popular.

9. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    There are F Award Seats available on the 16th:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.3/Diamond - Axess: Awards/JL-OneWorld]
    Code:
    HNL  Honolulu Intl HI US [PHNL]
    DFW  Dallas Metro / Dallas/Fort Worth TX US = DFW DAL [KDFW]
    SUN  16 Jun 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
    AA         8       HNL   16:45     DFW   05:10 +1  763  0   FS2  CS/  YS0
    AA         102     HNL   18:40     DFW   07:10 +1  763  0   FS2  CS/  YS0
    AA         270     HNL   07:25     LAX   15:45     757  0   FS2  CS/  YS4
     -> AA     2454    LAX   16:40     DFW   21:35     738  0   FS0  CS/  YS0
    AA         270     HNL   07:25     LAX   15:45     757  0   FS2  CS/  YS4
     -> AA     2456    LAX   17:10     DFW   22:05     738  0   FS0  CS/  YS0

10. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks K, but the future wife wouldn't be pleased if I only allowed her to stay in Hawaii for an hour or two ;)

I'll use this as a benchmark, tho!

edit: just realized I hadn't specified what date our outbound would be. nice guess (just wrong direction!)

11. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did the AA 6 and 7 DFW-OGG round trip earlier this year in Y. (I paid extra for seats closer to the front of the Y cabin. Don't be fooled, there's not a millimeter of extra leg room or any other benefit besides being closer to the door.) Their 763's were quite uncomfortable and seemed like they were the rejects from more lucrative routes- we had to switch planes twice because of mechanical problems on the way over. I would not recommend this route unless you're in F. It's around 8 hours going and 7 hours coming back. (I went around a year ago on another occasion to OGG from DFW stopping in LAX and that seemed better but still painful coming back.) AA treats these flights like any other domestic flight and offer no meal or anything in Y- despite their length being almost that to Europe.

mrredskin likes this.
  12. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They aren't advertised as having extra legroom or any other benefit besides being closer to the door.

JonNYC and mrredskin like this.
  13. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually looking for F. That's the reason why I was specifically looking for the DFW route. :)

BTW, someone at AA has obviously been stalking me or this thread. lots of awards have opened up yesterday and earlier this morning

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Did you get your flight?

mrredskin likes this.
  15. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i have one on hold that is mostly what i want. still hoping another from DFW back home opens up so i don't have to use avios or pay OOP for the last leg.

i got the outbound to work out perfectly (altho after three phone calls due to incorrect pricing each time) after some of that extra saaver space opened up.

16. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing to keep in mind is that you can change award flights with no fee (as long as origin and destination are the same). You can always book something that's not ideal and change it, if and when availability on your ideal flight opens up.