DFW > Dubai How to fly inexpensively?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by y2kdread, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have any good advice on a good way to get to Dubai without spending much money? I am willing to signup for credit cards to get points, I just don't want to sign up for many.

I would be needing two tickets and would be flying out of DFW.

Thanks!

2. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are going to have to give more information than you have provided. When are you going, what class of service do you want to fly? What do you consider inexpensive?

3. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    I am going to be flying between September and November, I don't have exact dates yet buy I want to get the planning process started. I would like to fly business class if possible, but I am not against coach. It just depends on the deal.

As far as price goes, it looks like the going rate for 2 people having 1 layover is around $3,123. I think a good deal would be $2,000 or less.

Does this help?

4. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obviously I'm biased - but I would be checking EK (Emirates). You'll have to fly out of JFK or the West Coast, but they will be super competitive. Also if you have time, EK will often price the itinerary cheaper if DXB isnt your final destination (ie you just stop over in DXB for a few days) and then fly somewhere else. Use a tool such as ExpertFlyer to check and watch fares. Their J class product is very very good. You'll also be on the A380 out of JFK (there are 2 flights a day, a 380 and a 777). West Coast only use 777 birds.

5. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Are there any good credit card mile programs that you can redeem on Emirates?

6. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Also, is it possible to get a subscription to Expert Flyer for free?

7. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:

8. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Emirates also has flights from Houston, which may be easier/cheaper for the OP (original poster) to get to. They currently have specials and it looks like you can get tickets from Houston to Dubai for $1250 per person, or less to neighboring countries (as eightblack had suggested above). See here.

9. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    That will help. But I guess what I really want to know is is their any good ways to get miles to cover a trip like this? I know you can do credit cards, but can't quite figure how many points gets you what.

-Eric

10. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take a look at the various credit card forums as the specifics vary between cards and can depend on what airline you transfer the points to. Depending on what your monthly spend is, it can take you a long time so you'll need to balance timing with your requirements and aspirations.

11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe UA miles would get an award on EK. Might want to look into their CCs. But the amount of miles needed for an award starting from scratch I would think is too much effort and cost.

I just used AA to LHR and EK from there for a cheaper price than EK non stop from the states. Might want to look into that too being DFW based.