DFW Connecting Time

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by npombo, Sep 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. npombo

npombo Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I hope you are going well. I have a short question.
    I'm travelling to New York from Bogotá, and I took this opportunity to use my AAdvantage Miles and buy my trip. I'm flying BOG-DFW-EWR, was the best choice for only 15K miles.
    I'm departing from BOG at 12:30am, arriving at DFW at 6:15am and then departing to EWR at 7:55am. Some years ago I had a bad experience with one Inter-Dom connection, but at MIA, and my connection that time was of 2hrs 30min. This time I only have 1hr 40min, but at DFW.
    Do you think I will be able to make it?
    Thanks for your help guys!

2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are on time, I think you will make it just fine based on my early morning experience at DFW. And fortunately, if you don't, there are lots of AA flights (something like 20 a day) from DFW to NYC (EWR, LGA and JFK) - so if NYC is your final destination and you misconnect you will have lots of option.

3. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as you arrive on time and CBP isn't strangely backed up at that time you should have plenty of time. Just my opinion and experience; I think DFW does a better job with INTL to Domestic transfer than MIA.

4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have only one international flight before you, GRU. Early morning international arrivals can be a PITA, because of the number of immigrations/CBP officer booths being operational at that time.

5. npombo

npombo Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys for your help!

Thanks for your information. Do you know if I lose my connection to EWR because of late flight from BOG. American will book me in another flight to any of the other two NYC airports? I don't care if I arrive to LGA or JFK, I prefer getting into LGA :)

6. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done it, but I'm not sure what the exact rules are, or if they are legally obligated to - though they will absolutely get you to EWR. That being said, if there are seats on a flight to one of the other airports I can't imagine them not putting you on one. Can anyone else chime in on that?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's somewhat a YMMV thing. Do you have status with AA? I've found that I rarely get turned down for this as an EXP but I've heard of folks with lesser/no status getting more pushback on it.