Determining type of seating

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TravelBear, Jun 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I have been spending some time trying to get a little more familiar with seating arrangements in the front of the plane hoping to one day soon sit there for TATL flight. I am seeing quite a few different set ups and surprisingly I am finding the 767-400 ER more to my liking when traveling with a companion. This is based on pictures only at this point. The other arrangements appear to make it very difficult to actually visit with your travel companion. I was perusing Delta's Aircraft page and it seems to have a lot of info. I am trying to figure out the best, most accurate way to determine aircraft/seating arrangement type. I have been messing around with Expertflyer and Delta.com and it seems DLs site is pretty descriptive in that it gives you aircraft type (obviously) but also includes the little icon to tell you if it is a lie flat v. recliner seat. When looking at the seat maps it appears that the maps that show a more friendly seating arrangement have the seats facing directly forward and that the more private ones show the seats angled.

Anyone care to shed any more light on this would be greatly appreciated. I know they can make changes to flights at any time but I want to make the best informed decision at booking that I can.

mtkeller likes this.
  2. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    You seem to have a pretty good grasp on things. The 764 and updated 767-300ER (all of which should be done by the start of 2014) have essentially the same 1-2-1, forward facing J seat. Pairs in the middle work quite well for couples travelling together. The 777 is probably the worst for couples, as the 1-2-1 arrangement has the "2" seats facing away from each other, so unless you like shouting across the aisle or getting severe neck cramps, it's hard to converse. Some of the lower deck on the 744 is 1-2-1 (the rest being 1-1 or 1-1-1), as is all of the updated A330 (almost none of them done yet). The "2" seats on these angle toward each other. However, reports indicate that the seats are set back a bit so that you have to lean forward a bit to converse.

traveller99 likes this.
  3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the confirmation!