Determining Base Fare Class

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by konoyaro, Jun 26, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently booked an international flight using an upgrade instrument, so now when I look at the booking class I see "R" as expected.

If I understand correctly, if original booking class + upgrade instrument = R, how do we find what the original booking class is?

One reason I ask is if this same flight is eligible for a bonus promotion, the original booking class typically determines eligibility and I believe R is usually not listed as an eligible class...

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have the original confirmation receipt? That should tell you the underlying fare basis.

There is also a way to view the full fare construction details using the Saudia website. It is slightly convoluted but if you use Chrome as your web browser you can install this extension I created and it will link you through to the Saudia details easily.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Seth.

The original confirmation receipt also shows R, so I used your tool and was successful in getting redirected to the Saudia site.

Although it also lists R as the fare class, I'm guessing that the first character listed under Fare Basis equals the original booking class, so for example WLX0ZNMI would be "W" - is that correct?

EDIT - I see you've answered this already in a different thread - Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup...that makes it a W fare. :cool: