Detained at immigration

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Singapore Flyer, Nov 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction with an issue my wife has. She is a LPR here with GE. For the last couple of trips she has been detained for additional screening - traveling alone and with me or our children. USCIS says it is because of an arrest record. She has never been arrested. One of the officers ask if there was any denial of entry. She was denied entry over 10 years ago when her HR department screwed up something on her H1B extension. He said that was it and considered an arrest on their records. First officer said he would fix it. Second time this past summer got stopped again and another said the first one didn't do it right and he would correct it. She just arrived and was detained again at JFK an hour ago. This officer was not as nice and she broke down and is pissed livid at them and the US govt. he said that she will forever face this until she became a citizen. He even said she was lying when she said another officer said they could correct it. It was one of his colleagues at T4, she was at T-7.

I am perplexed why she was even granted GE if this is going to happen every time. Also why the different information from the officers. Regardless, any suggestions on how to fix this short of getting citizenship? She is pissed and would rather not. That and she doesn't want to give up her SG citizenship.

Suggestions and ideas much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try contacting DHS separate from when she is in the queue at the airport. Doubtful that airport clerks can do much to permanently rectify such matters.

Do you have an immigration attorney? Might be worth some advice from her/him, too.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd address this issue through the office of YOUR local congressional officials, preferably YOUR senator. You'd be surprised what they can help with. A succinct letter explaining the issue should suffice to get the ball rolling.

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mike is right about contact your local officials. America does allow dual citizenship and she does not have to give up her citizenship to become an American Citizen. I personally have dual citizenship.

5. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    no, but my colleague's husband is one. I'll follow up with her and see if there is anything he can do.

IDGflygirl and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    i actually thought of this as we were driving back from the airport. I remember all those random news articles of them fixing these things. I agree that a senator will have much more clout. I will do that this weekend. I think I will reach out to my old HS schoolmate. She isn't my district but she is a US Representative in the same party as our Senators.

iolaire and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It also depends on the "other" country IIRC. Not all permit it.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    SG by practice does not allow it but it isn't forbidden in their constitution. It is a topic for another day but it seems short sighted on their part with the issues that they are facing. So, yeah getting her US citizenship does pose some risk of losing her SG citizenship.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    More than some. The trick in SG is that some scenarios are in fact constitutionally prohibited while others are not addressed. Generally, however, it is prohibited when an actor is actively acquiring citizenship in another nation.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    My recent experience with this at a state level was very positive. It probably helped that I simply gave them the facts and my suggested outcome without being or acting like a loon. They get all kinds of wild complaints and demands, so dealing with someone reasonable encourages them.

11. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Thanks, Mike. I just read a bit about DHS TRIP. This also seems like a possible route or in conjunction with reaching out to elected officials.

12. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, me too. And I've experienced similar problems with CBSA/Immigration Canada - who make every trip a trial. I did speak to one of the officials on my second-to-last visit there when she expressed surprise about the repeated flagging for secondary both at Primary and Customs but I've only been back once since then to YEG and didn't get the usual negative treatment then....However YEG is not the prime lair of the dragons. The acid test will be the next trip to the bowels @ YYZ or worst of all YVR :eek: