Destination wedding HELP

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Tormey0206, Mar 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Tormey0206

Tormey0206 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello All,
    I am in desperate help of figuring out the most economical way to book flights for my upcoming wedding. I am originally from Miami, but am currently staying in Boston as I am planning my wedding. I am getting married July 12 in Boston, Massachusetts. Between now and then I must fly round trip from Boston to Miami for 7-9 days the first half of May (I was looking at the 10-19). I also need to fly my fiancé with me on my return to Boston (he is currently still living in Miami, so I only need a one-way). And lastly, I need to fly my photographer and (possible) DJ from Miami to Boston round trip for my wedding and put them up in a hotel for a few nights.

How can I stretch my miles?
    American AAdvantage 26,338 + 50,000 (at the end of April)
    United MilagePlus: 42,503
    Delta SkyMiles4,744

I have blocked a set of 10 rooms for my guest at the Hotel Indigo and can reserve nights for my photographer/DJ at $139 per night. I don't have any Hotel rewards programs yet. But any suggestion on programs would be appreciated.

-Christine

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you need 7 o/w trips between Miami & Florida. That's going to be tight with the points you have but maybe possible. The DL points you have won't do any good for this. The current UA balance is good for 3 and the current AA balance is good for 2. The extra 50k gets you 4 more o/w trips.

AA has return flights (via LGA) on the 13th with 2 seats to cover your photog and DJ getting home. UA has some pretty awful itineraries to get them north on the 10th. Unclear what date you want to fly them in on.

Or focus on the immediate travel for you and him and hope that there are still seats available for the photog/DJ at the end of April when the additional points land in your account.

Also look at cash fares, both at MIA and FLL. There are some pretty reasonable rates right now if you're flexible on timing.

Tormey0206 likes this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can get the 4 ppl involved to travel from Miami north on the same date, a road trip would be most economical. It can be done without stopping overnight halfway, by rotating the driving duty.

flyforawg likes this.
  4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can see asking friends to do this, but not so much for hired tradespeople like a photographer.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Also, there are only 2 traveling then so it is not feasible.

6. Tormey0206

Tormey0206 Active Member

Status Points:
    I found the round trip from BOS to MIA will cost me 12000 points with AA vs. 24000 with United. Any cheaper mile usage in overlooking?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe that either of those numbers is accurate. On AA or UA the rates should be either 12,500 or 25,000 each way depending on whether you can find the "low" level awards or not. Neither program has options at 12,000 or 24,000 and definitely not as a round-trip price.

For the programs you listed above those are the rates you'll pay. Getting it for fewer points might be possible with the Avios program but if there's a connection involved the rates aren't likely to be much better.

flyforawg and Tormey0206 like this.
  8. Tormey0206

Tormey0206 Active Member

Status Points:
    Your correct. I was guesstimating what I remembered.
    What's the formula to figure out the mile/dollar ration to make sure I'm getting the most out of my miles?

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As a general rule in the programs you're talking about a penny/point is the minimum. At 2 cents/point things are nearly always considered a good deal. Better than that is, naturally, better.

But it also depends on personal circumstances and how points or cash rich/poor you happen to be at any given time.