Destination change on award ticket

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by ttervooren, May 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. ttervooren
    Original Member

ttervooren Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received an email from BA that my Sept 3 LHR-MEX award departure time was changed by 2 hours and 45 minutes. This will make me miss my next flight on AeroMexico MEX-GDL which is not on the same ticket.
    I searched BA website and the Internet in general to see if I could change the destination on a BA award ticket and found no information. Even if there was a fee, I would change the destination to GDL. I know it is not possible on AA awards. Does anyone know if it is possible on BA?

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can change your ticket to another destination if the new route falls into the same Avios zone as the original route. So if you have a LHR-LAX ticket, you can change that to LHR-SFO; you could even change the cabin as well as the route.

However, BA doesn't fly LHR-GDL. That means that even if there is some route from LHR to GDL using a BA award, it will almost certainly require a different number of Avios from your original route because there will be at least two flights instead of one. Because of that, the answer from the rules should be no. You may also have availability problems anyway.

It is sometimes possible for a change to be made outside the rules for a good reason. For example, I've heard of a change being allowed from MIA-MAD-LCY to MIA-LHR. But the reason for that change is clear from the face of the ticket. It may be harder to persuade BA to waive the rule where the reason lives on a separate ticket that's nothing to do with BA. You might have more luck asking for a change of date for your LHR-MEX ticket.

But surely it must be easier to change the MEX-GDL?

3. ttervooren
    Original Member

ttervooren Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, Globaliser. You are correct I have availability problems.
    Yes, I can buy another MEX-GDL ticket, but then I have to overnight in Mexico City. Not my favorite idea, but looks like my only option.
    I called BA and they are willing to let me change the destination to GDL since it is less than 300 miles from MEX, but unfortunately, they do not have availability to GDL on September 3. The woman recommended I keep checking for availability, but I don't expect that will happen since we are in First. I was hoping they would be more like American Airlines and allow the change even though the availability is not there. That has happened to me a few times.