desperately need help with t-mobile!

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by estnet, Jun 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been having trouble with my voicemail for the last 2 months. After multiple call to Tmobile with standard troubleshothing including them resetting my voicemail voicemail without warning me I would lose all my old voice mails! finally discovered that the problem is that tmo is not allowing any other carrier to leave messave, so when tmo tests it seems to work, but when others call they hear the beginning of my message then get cut off!
    After a week still not fixed
    HELP
    should I change to another carrier (then later switch back because I need the international )
    try to contact someone in corporate? (I've already spoken to level 3 techs, supervisors, etc )
    cry and hit my head against the wall until I'm unconscious and just don't care? :(:mad:

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you saying that if I call your number from my AT&T mobile phone and get your voice mail, I can't leave a message? That seems... bizarre.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes totally agree, could hardly believe it when my "intermittent" problem (they said they fixed it, left me a test vm), followed by having the same problem again!
    I don't have a clue how that can happen, but verified when 3 different people calling from landlines or non tmo couldn't leave a message but tmo could!
    if anyone can explain how that can happen (and why their "engineers" can't fix it) I'd be very grateful.
    it worked for over a year then something changed and their tech support can't seem to fix it

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe give up on TMo's voicemail and forward missed calls to Google Voice?

Oddball problems like this can be very hard for the large carriers to track down. If you want to try harder rather than switch carriers, post a query on Howard Forums and see if anyone there might have more clue.

5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    T-Mobile coverage in the eastern US is very poor. I was provided a T-Mobile phone with my last job, and the coverage was so bad that I could only use in in WiFi mode. Verizon pretty much rocks in the US, at least in my experience.

6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll try Howard forums I guess, but I don't see why I should have to use Google voice (and I'm not sure why I should have to do something like that )and I'm not even sure I know how to do it (you know one of those really OLD people who don't have the facility of your average 10 year old) also I need to have access when I am overseas _ I guess gv would do that overdata?

The issue isn't tmo coverage! It works where I am and I need the free international access which is why I am trying to find a solution with them.

Since it worked for over a year does anyone have any idea what could have changed? Why can't they just disconnect the number and reconnect it so it uses a ?different "route" or connection or something.

Does anyone have a contact for a high level person who might take ownership of the problem?

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to dial ##004# from your phone to reset call forwarding, then reboot your phone.

I have no idea if it would work, but you can always give it a shot. :)

iolaire likes this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does call forwarding have to do with people not being able to leave voice mail?

9. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Because the transfer to voicemail is handled by the same logic that handles call forwarding. "call forwarding busy/don't answer" is the typical name of the setting. If that's misconfigured, callers may never get routed to your voicemail.

viguera likes this.
  10. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    You shouldn't have to use Google Voice. But it might be easier than getting TMo to figure out what they're doing.

How: go to https://www.google.com/voice and set up an account with a new Google Voice number. You never have to use that number, so don't agonize over choosing it. They will walk you through setting up your TMo line as a "forwarding phone" and then walk you through setup for using Google Voice voicemail by typing in a star code to set the "call forwarding busy/don't answer" to your google voice number.

You can then check the voicemail by dialing your google voice number or by listening to the voicemails online, either in a normal web browser or, if you have a smartphone, in the Google Voice app. Or Google Voice will transcribe your messages and SMS them to you. That last feature hooked me, and you may find that it does the same for you.

11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah. I just switched to T-Mobile and I've been having to deal with some of their quirks as well. Coming from Verizon and using Google Voice for a while now, I'm sadly well acquiented with command codes on cell phones :)

I know you're bound to have issues if you port a number as well, or if the phone wasn't configured properly to route incoming busy / don't answer / all calls.

12. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might be something simple. My wife had problems with her Galaxy 5 shutting itself off. Turned out that the phone itself needed repair. We have also had bad Tmobile SIM Cards. I would have a local TMobile store start by replacing the SIM card. Should be no cost for that. then escalate. Go to a TMobile store and not a Kiosk in a shopping mall. (They should have at least a brick and mortar presence to give some "ownership" to customer service)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if possible, bring a non-T-Mob phone to demonstrate the problem.

Newscience and Mapsmith like this.
  14. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good suggestion. I have found that in the physical stores you will have the phone geeks that have seen a lot of the problems and may know the solution. They also will have a direct line to specific Techs at Tmobile who know the value of the customer standing in the store and ticked off.

15. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks and I might have to resort to that, but one of the techs asked if I was using something like voice and seemed to indicate that could beasily a problem.
    I REALLY appreciate the step by step in case I do need to try that. Thank you.

since I've never used call forwarding is this still something I should try? I'm in Thailand at the moment and hope it will be fixed before I get back, but I'm willing to try when I'm back in the country

Thanks, but just to illustrate my ignorance -what are command codes? The frustrating part is that it worked for so long, then ???

I had a sim card die a while ago, but not sure how this could be a Sim issue. I'll give it a try when I'm back in the country if needed.
    I have had good service from my TMo store, but I started with tech support because it seemed right, but again I'll give it a try if needed -actually that was my plan when I get back if it isn't resolved

see above. Thanks

So, I've escalated it again. Strangely it took another call from me to say 5 days of "we're working on it, no solution " wasn't acceptable before it got escalated again.

I tried calling myself using Skype from Thailand
    to see if I could leave a message and strangely it worked, but it was so staticy that it was incomprehensible.

traveltoomuch likes this.