Design Suggestions

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Deacon Flyer, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Deacon Flyer
    Original Member

Deacon Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know it was mentioned somewhere that this is just a temporary design, but I was wondering if the staff wanted input now?

If so:
    • The cleaner, the better
    • Right now, things are very bunched together. Quoted replies, post content and signatures all run together.
    • Quoted posts should stretch as long as post content
    • Emphasize user name over avatar (and allow option to not show avatars)
    • Utilize the full width of the page
    • Current color scheme is hard on the eyes
    These may sound nitpicky, but the easier a site is to read, the longer people will stay and use it. Right now, my head hurts after trying to navigate for more than a couple of minutes.

jackal likes this.
  2. shane
    Original Member

shane Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the look of the new site. It feels very modern but I must second the width suggestion. It was my first and constant observation about the site. I have a smaller widescreen laptop, and 30% or more of the horizontal space is going to waste.

Another suggestion would be a favicon across the site. I use lots of multiple tabs (and have ferocious ADD) so switching back to Milepoint among 10 tabs proves difficult without an icon.

jackal likes this.
  3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Favicon is coming. The current logo will not be the final one so they decided not to implement the favicon yet, either.

jackal and Chimpy like this.
  4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I full support the requests for variable with (and have posted about it previously). But I personally find the current colour scheme quite pleasing, not sure why it would be hard on your eyes.

5. Wings
    Original Member

Wings Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may have not just seen any posts with it yet, but I would really love to have a wiki at the beginning of each post for everyone to update current info (similar to slickdeals)

jackal likes this.
  6. Deacon Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There have been discussions about implementing it, and I think Randy has said they will try it out at some point.

jackal likes this.
  7. Deacon Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what it is, but the combination of white, light blue, and gray, along with the font makes it very hard to read for me. Maybe I just need some time to adjust.

8. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    White text on green background makes things very difficult to read. I think also those who are colorblind may have a problem?

9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think colour blindness should be a particular problem here -- there aren't any red-green or blue-yellow combinations.

I think white-on-green is only used for a couple of different buttons?

10. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like the option to not display avatars, signatures and ads completely. I really like the uncluttered look.

Wanaflyforless likes this.
  11. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find the hover over the topics to be a bit laggy compared to other sites, but I love the big fonts very readable -- am I getting old?

Chimpy likes this.
  12. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    jackal likes this.
  13. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Utilizing the full width of the page should only be done if you lock the width of a post so that a picture does not expand the width of the post beyond the standard forcing the entire page to display a different width that is larger than the browser window.

14. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, especially when viewing on a mobile, no pictures is great

15. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's used for the banner headers and descriptive headers, and some buttons. Standardizing the color scheme around the white on blue would improve the readability and have a consistent scheme throughout. This is all just personal feedback, of course! If people like green, go for it!

16. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has any thought been given to adding space for a flag (country of origin) below the avatar picture. It would be nice to know where everyone is from with searching profiles.

17. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could always add it to your avatar.

18. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like the 1/2 inch gray-blue "edges" on the page. I use a small-screen laptop and find it okay. Otherwise I would just reduce the size of the browser window to get that frame. I use Firefox with Adblock, so ads are not an issue. (Wish there were an add-on to click on all ads behind the scenes to give revenue, but I don't want to see those ads.)

I don't like the pukey turquoise around the avatars and crumb box. Assume that will go when the designers show their stuff.

Don't like the size of the avatar box. Size of photo is okay, could by smaller, but the type below needs to be tightened up.

I really like the black-to-gray box that opens when you click on someone's handle. It's like stepping off the street into the Andaz - total relaxation.

I like being able to edit without having to make up a reason for doing so :)

No point in commenting really, since there is a design group working on this and most of our comments will be irrelvant.

jackal likes this.
  19. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or your signature. I would like to see the flags, great idea. Not to brag, but to identify. Actually, I expect the graphics in the sig to disappear. It can get messy. Perhaps limiting the size in sigs.

kiwi likes this.
  20. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I started putting some flags/logos in my sig but I was having trouble getting sizing just right (ie same sizes and an appropriate size for sig). Where did you get your logos from?

21. It will be interesting to see how much or how little this becomes FlyerTalk removed :p

There is a great opportunity to birth this much differently, versus a clubroom.

Overall, I like how the site looks. A Beta is a beta

Chimpy likes this.
  22. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Logos were from respective websites, it's one .jpg not two separate logos. Made a new file in Photoshop and reduced the logos to fit and pasted them in. May do over, make a .jpg that's 33 pixels x 400 pixels, then just drop in logos that have been resized. Could use these two, add the flag then in the future just add other stuff. Do you LIKE this answer, or do you need more information?

DenverBrian likes this.
  23. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense - but I'm no good at that stuff.

24. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely agree with the option to disable avatars. For me they don't add anything and often are distracting and take you away from the text which should be the most important part.

I like having the Page number info at the top and bottom of pages. Some sites make you scroll all the way up or down which is irritating which you just want to click to the next page.

I'm pretty picky on color schemes (dread some of the black or dark color backgrounds that a few sites use) but this is better than average.

25. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points: