Deplaning Etiquette

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Dec 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like most of us here, I fly a lot. It is my experience that there is an unwritten rule that we deplane from front to back in order to avoid utter chaos. (Latin America excluded)

As a 1K who failed to make the UG on an international flight yesterday morning, I was in my usual seat in such cases on row 21 of a 737. Everything seemed to be going smoothly through row 20, but when we got to row 21, there was a rush of obviously non-status passengers pushing their way out without giving us the opportunity to step into the aisle.

I stepped abruptly into the aisle ahead of the sixth person who tried to rush ahead of me, and I said, "Notice that all the rows ahead of us are empty? That's because deplaning is done from front to back. It makes life easier on all of us to have some order in this process." I wasn't snarky. I just wanted to get off the plane.

Her response was, "Well I have a connection." To which I replied, "As do I and many others here. We are ten minutes early, so unless you have an unreasonably tight connection that shouldn't have been booked in the first place, you are going to be fine." I removed my things from the overhead and there was no further exchange. I then waited for the people on the other side of the aisle who were less agressive than me, and I allowed them to depart ahead of me.

If the woman had said, "Pardon me. I have a tight connection. May I go ahead?" I would have certainly allowed her to pass. The rising lack of on board civility really concerns me. I'm curious to hear how others deal with this, as it certainly isn't the first time this has happened to me, but it is the first time I have acted to stop it.

8MiHi, SNA1K, DeacFlyer1 and 6 others like this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Undoubtedly, there is a lack of civility in society. Couple that with the very tight connections built-in to the schedules, even when the planes are on-time, and it gets worse.

There are two diametrically opposing actions that are customary on every plane. First, the go, go, GO atmosphere of getting on-board (complete with regular FA admonishments of stepping into the aisle because we're going to be late/miss our slot time/miss connections/not be able to feed starving children in Africa). And then when we're all on board, we're supposed to sit there and do nothing for about 20 minutes between door close and wheels-up.

As for the lady who claimed tight connection.....I would have just let her go. You don't know what her connection is and/or whether she needs to do things like go to the bathroom or what is her departure gate. Karma catches up to those folks. It's not worth losing sleep over.

3. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see this a lot around holiday / vacation times as well. I typically don't engage with people when they start with the rushing. I have, however, made the same comment about connections. But I simply said "you have an hour, you'll be fine, trust me I fly all the time."

Regarding the rush, rush, I totally agree. This has been getting much worse. Quite honestly, my view is that people aren't listening to the announcements anyway, and making them more frequently isn't going to solve that problem. I was on an LH TATL flight two months ago when no announcements were made. People seemed to understand where their luggage went without the incessant announcements, and this was from MCO where there were TONS of families / kettles on board.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say that the etiquette is to not arbitrarily slow other people down. If they already have their bags in hand and can move faster than I can then I let them out, waiting for a pause from further back to step into the aisle and collect my things. I'm not inherently better than someone else because my seat was further forward in the cabin thereby justifying my getting in their way as they try to get off the plane.

I also wonder how it is possible to talk down to someone like described above and not consider it snarky.

JRZYSHAWN, jonk, IDGflygirl and 4 others like this.
  5. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate when people try to rush up from somewhere behind my seat and don't give other people ahead of them a chance to step into the aisle and quickly retrieve their bags. You just have to be willing to step out into the aisle and stop the flow of traffic for five seconds to grab your stuff or else no one will let you out.

IDGflygirl and KenInEscazu like this.
  6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shoot, WA... You do it all the time right here on these boards. As a matter of fact, you just did it again.

gregm, FetePerfection and hulagrrl210 like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that comment was snarky. I never claimed it wasn't.

I'm wondering how you can claim that the little "lecture" you gave to some random stranger on how they should behave to your benefit was not snarky. She was trying to make her connection. Maybe she could have waited for you if she wanted to but there is no rule or even common courtesy that because they are seated behind you they must. That's simply not the way the world works.

And, IME, that would actually be slower overall, not faster as you've suggested.

IDGflygirl and arkleseizure like this.
  8. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My pet peeve in this regard is all those people up front who are a) far too large and b) are carrying way too much stuff on board. They step into the aisle, blocking it for everyone else, while they collect 2,3,4 or 5 items and then waddle slowly down the aisle, out the door and even block the jetbridge with their sheer bulk.

I so wish that UA would enforce a proper carry on policy then boarding and deplaning would become much more civilized.

9. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I reckon I'll be needing the overhead space, and I have status that lets me board first, I'll begrudgingly board. There's so much waiting to rush to sit down to wait again, whether at the gate, the jetway, in the aisle, then in the seat, and without bags needing the space I try to be one of the last/the last to get on the plane. Though, by that time some chav has already assumed no one will be in my seat and places magazines/bags/bare feet on it. Every now and then the FA lets me thus place my bag in the C-class compartments (where for the majority of the time I'm not BIS-ing it), though I'd rather make sure my fellow passengers don't go searching through my stuff. Boarding/deplaning, they've never really been exciting games to play.

On another note, I recently discovered the benefit of gate checking bags, when available.

On the more important note, I just realized the title of this thread.

10. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my opinion, whoever is ready to get off the plane should get off the plane first. I am sick of waiting for people who do not retrieve their things or even begin to gather their belongings until after all the rows ahead if them are empty.
    As WA said, whomever is bags in hand and ready to deplane should simply go ahead of those who seem to want an invitation to deplane!

11. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe in the unwritten front to back unloading. I could easily jump up and grab my stuff and push up but I don't and when I see the people behind me chomping at the bit I make sure to jump up in front of them. I don't believe its a first come first serve to get off. If I am in the middle or window using the premise of those up first should get to go, well, I guess I will just have to wait for everyone else because I am not up and ready? Wrong. I wait, others can wait. Connections or not. Or maybe the FAs should have a list of those passengers with tight connections and allow them to all deplane first?

hulagrrl210 and KenInEscazu like this.
  12. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It never works out that folks allow those with tight flight connections to deplane first. Therefore it seems that if you are up and with bags in hand, you should go ahead, instead of folks waiting for those who are in no hurry.

Two days ago I was in the window of the bulk head just behind F. The two persons in the aisle and middle (who had just purses, mind you) just stayed seated when the F cabin had deplaned, blocking me in.
    It is rude to obstruct someone who wants to deplane and is ready to do so just cause you feel like sitting there longer.

IDGflygirl and MX like this.
  13. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree! OP, what are you waiting for? Generally people are standing with at least a foot in the aisle, especially as the rows ahead are starting to empty out. If people are not moving when the aisle in front of them is completely open, I wait a couple of seconds and then just walk on by.

SFOPeter

secretsea18 likes this.
  14. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    "I'm wondering how you can claim that the little "lecture" you gave to some random stranger on how they should behave to your benefit was not snarky."
    I do not think anybody these days wants to listen to a lecture on civility.

IDGflygirl and Wandering Aramean like this.
  15. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I had a nickel for every time I have uttered those words...

16. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are in an aisle seat there is no reason that you can't be ready to deplane right away. You are afterall right in the aisle and politely should have already gathered all your stuff by the time those in the rows ahead have walked off the plane.
    The problem is that very few people actually are able to extract all their stuff in "five seconds".

For all those folks who think that they should be able to swim upstream to retrieve their bags and obstruct others from deplaning... you need to wait. By not being ready to deplane, and forcing everyone else behind you to wait for you is the epitome of rudeness. If you are not ready to deplane, then don't go into the aisle.

17. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have come to believe that the most difficult task you can assign a human is:
    Get on the plane, find yer seat, stow yer crap and sit down......
    The second most difficult task would be:
    Stand up, gather yer crap, get off the plane.......
    I can manage to accomplish either in seconds...... other pe:rolleyes:ple, not so much......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

FetePerfection likes this.
  18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure that this conversation is even worthy of further input, but I'll make one final attempt to clarify.

1. I waited for all 20 rows ahead of me to deplane.
    2. I was in a window seat, so I couldn't be in the aisle ready to go. All I had was one small CPAP bag to grab, and I would have been out of there.
    3. 5 people rushed ahead of me from behind while I was standing there bent over waiting for my turn to leave.
    4. Nobody said, "Excuse me, please. I have a tight connection." The woman I stepped in front of only mentioned her connection after I explained the process to her.
    5. I was absolutely not snarky. I was absolutely not lecturing. It appeared that she was one of the uninformed masses who don't travel regularly and was not familiar with the process. While my irritation may have been detectable, I was certainly not rude.
    6. As mentioned above, the flight arrived early.

I was there. Nobody else here was witness to this exchange, so those of you throwing opinionated barbs are doing so only on theoretical and assumptive grounds. I had 1 hour and 15 minutes to walk down to immigration, clear GE, get my bags, clear customs, recheck my bags, go back through IAH's "World's Worst" international connection security point, get some lunch, check my email and catch my connection. All those people rushing to deplane ahead of me were considering only their own respective agendas. I had my time limits, too.

Unless my schedule is urgently tight, I always allow people who announce their tight connection time to go ahead of me. It appeared that everyone in back was just playing "follow the leader" and not following the typical civil method of deplaning. Being on the last row of E+, it was reasonable to surmise that they were not familiar with the process, or simply rude and self-centered.

While I'm no angel, and it is possible for me to lose my cool at times, I really take offense at being portrayed here as some kind of self-appointed Passenger Behavior Police. It was past my turn to get out of my aisle and deplane, and I had things to do. To assert myself was one of two options, the other being to just let the flow continue, giving the impression that I had no time constraints of my own, which I did.

The civility on this board is the primary benefit that sets it apart from the rest, and I'm very disappointed that some of you have used this venue to turn it into what feels like a personal attack. Not that I can't take it, but it is surprisingly offensive and inconsistent with how we normally address one another.

We all have our travel-related stress, or we wouldn't likely participate here. To take it out on one another is a slippery slope that I really don't think we want to go down.

So I have now said my peace, and I will continue to participate here with the highly respected input of my fellow MPers. Hopefully we can resume with mutual respect and the realization that we are all on the same side. We don't need to beat up on one another, but rather join together to make our voices heard to the airlines from whom we are all seeking the levels of service we pay for and deserve.

If anyone disagrees with me, I welcome the dialogue. Resorting to insults - however passive aggressive they may be - simply isn't necessary.

19. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure that I'm not the only one, since, by the time I haul my old a _ _ out of my seat, (I'm still pretty fast for an ol' guy) the isles are filling up with De-planers, but as soon as the signal to un-buckle that seat belt, I'm in the isle, getting my, and da brides carry ons out of the over head, and sit them on the floor (rollaboards) and small stuff in my recently vacated isle seat. Not much etiquette or 'love' for the others when it comes to getting off that tube.

20. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My bigger issue is those folks who have seats towards the rear of the plane arbitrarily placing their carry on into the overheads in the forward cabin.

High % of CPU for me personally so I'm not often impacted however I've seen numerous Elite's struggling to find overhead space in E+ after boarding, because the space has been taken already by people sitting many rows further back

21. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, those in the back do that, but an elite, or those in an earlier boarding slot can always find room near their seats. The isn't any reason for an elite to not have plenty of room in the overheads, unless he/she boards late. Those in the rear of the aircraft should have a much higher boarding number, than any elite. Or a Chase card holder, for that matter. Those in the back are still going to wait to get their stuff, until those isles empty out.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  22. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh i agree those people should not have blocked you in. The truth is not everyone can stand and be at the ready because the aisle just cant handle everyone. If i am in the middle seat I cant necessarily stand up but I am ready to get up and get my stuff when there is room.

23. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm torn on this. Obviously, they should follow the norm and deplane in the standard process. I see no reason that pushier people should get their way and not others (of course, that's a problem in all aspects of life). And yes, everyone on the plane is only considering their respective agendas...it doesn't do them too much good to think "well, I missed my connection, but I'm sure glad random passenger in row 21 made his!" Perhaps the world should work this way, perhaps not...but I'm afraid that's the way it is.

HOWEVER, the unnecessary hold and "lecture" you gave the "obviously non-status passenger" (how exactly is their status or non-status relevant?) was a bit much. You made a number of assumptions about her condition (and as Captain Oveur pointed out, heck, maybe she just needed to use the bathroom badly) and ultimately decided for her when she should leave the plane. I fail to see how responding in that way lives up to the exemplar of civility you are seeking to point out here.

This reminds me a bit of when I see people driving poorly and I give them grief about it. I can go on and on about how I'm in the right, but in reality I know I'm doing it because they pissed me off and I get some satisfaction in "giving it to them".

Aside: I agree that personal attacks are unnecessary; perhaps I missed them, but I really don't see where anyone has made any personal attacks to you in this thread. Disagreeing, or even denigrating your actions, IMO does not constitute a personal attack or insult.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  24. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP I'm with you on this and some of the responses here certainly back up your point, however, your "lecture" more than likely fell on deaf ears anyway. We all see this little turf war on a daily basis. It is just common courtesy to let people in front out first - if they then want to wait to deplane, ok that is a different matter. People should wait their turn, even if it means helping the little old lady from Boise ahead of you who can't get her carry on out of the overhead compartment. As I see it, it is like merging in traffic, some civility and common sense is needed, but there are always those who are more important who need to be ahead of you. So many lame excuses to justify plain rudeness. Suck it up and display some courtesy.

25. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seth, IMO you missed the OP's point entirely. It is not the OP who is assuming he is: "better than someone else", it is about the rudeness of others who intentionally bud in line to get ahead, because they are more important than the person ahead or have some need that takes priority over others ahead of them (IME usually due to their lack of good planning or need for a Starbucks!)

Whether or not it is appropriate or even worthwhile to verbalize ones displeasure, is another topic entirely.

gregm, KenInEscazu and hulagrrl210 like this.