Departing SAN

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Captain Oveur, Sep 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know which direction a runway is used is a matter of wind direction. That said, has anyone ever departed San Diego/Lindbergh Field when takeoffs were being done in the Runway 9 direction (as opposed to the usual 27)?

Just curious.

2. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I live on the east approach to SAN so I know when they are using which runway.

They will use the runway 9 direction when it's foggy/cloudy or Santa Ana conditions exist where there is wind coming from the east. It's limited to planes that can take off within a shorter distance due to how the runway is laid out. If you're on a 767, you probably will take off on 27 regardless of the conditions.

Most times they fly runway 9 in the early mornings. I don't recall too many flights taking off from 9 in the afternoons or evenings.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. Thank you for the reply.

Have done about a dozen transits through SAN, different times of the day.....all landings and takeoffs on 27.

One time, was driving on I-5 right under an airplane landing on 27. Holy cow that got my attention.

4. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I want to say that your chances of a runway 9 takeoff are greatly improved in the early morning flying WN. But that might also be because it seems like half of the flights at SAN are WN.

Admittedly, you get used to the planes flying over I-5 - but it's still an impressive sight watching them land from the freeway. Have not seen a takeoff from 9 from that vantage point yet.

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have only landed "the opposite" way at SAN once on a WN flight...and something did not go right and the next thing I knew we were back up in the air turning circles over the city because of fog.