Denver Sheraton DTC

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by mdtravel, Jun 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

I didn't find a thread on this hotel, so thought I'd start one. Biggest relevant point for me or perhaps other prior guests: booze no longer free in the club.

I've been staying at this hotel for about 10 years now...not uninterrupted for 10 years, just a few nights here and there over 10 years. :) I'd stay here and then jump to the (now demolished) Four Points when I was qualifying for Plat on stays. When the Element opened up in Lone Tree, I made that my second choice over the Four Points for stay running. With a change in travel patterns, I'm able to qualify for Plat fairly easily on nights so I have a choice now. I tended to stay at the Sheraton because they had a good club lounge with free booze, decent evening snacks (hot and cold), and a better than average breakfast. I'm also not a huge fan of having a kitchen in my room when I travel for business, so that was another reason I would choose the Sheraton over the Element.

It started off as an OK hotel. Kind of worn, but still a passable Sheraton experience. Getting upgraded to the club floor or at the very least always having access to it was nice. In about 30 stays, my upgrades have been limited to club floor (frequently) and suites (once or twice at the most). The front desk staff often tells me I've been upgraded, to the exact room that I actually booked and paid for but the suites are nothing special so I don't push it.

Over the years, things got more worn. Bedding, bathrooms, hallways, workout room...everything.

I stayed at the hotel again about a month ago after more than a year and was pleased to see that they had invested in the hotel. The new work out room is equipment and lots of room. So much room in fact that they could put in a few more cardio machines if they wanted to and expand beyond the two ellipticals they have in place.

The hallways have new carpet; the bathrooms have been updated as has the bedding. Overall, they did a good job on the update.

I made my way up to the club on the 10th floor. The food wasn't that attractive: cheese and veggie tray, one hot item (those conical cheese and meet burrito things common to clubs), popcorn and chips and salsa. There was wine sitting out, and that's what I wanted. The attendant was talking for like 10 minutes to another guest, which is big deal. So I picked up the wine, looked it over, waited a bit, picked it up again and poured a glass. "Are you paying for that with cash or a room charge?" was the first time the attendant spoke to me, and it was a bit harsh.

Through some dialog I learned that booze was no longer free. I apologized and left.

The best rooms in this hotel in my opinion are the one on the 10th floor with floor to ceiling (and beyond) arched windows. They have this kind of cool push button set of double blinds that you can move up and down. The down side to these rooms is that in the winter, they can be very cold and a bit drafty.

For future stays where the price is similar, I will shift my stays to the nearby Element. They have free beer and wine in the evenings with some snacks, a decent breakfast option, and a good work out room. The location is about the same as the Sheraton, but they also offer a shuttle that can take you to Park Meadows.
    sendaiben and uggboy like this.