Denver Hail Damage

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Seacarl, Jul 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    why fly likes this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a friend who spent a bit of time at DEN yesterday, counted at least 36 planes (not just UA) with some sort of hail damage.

I'd keep a close eye on schedules and itineraries, this could last for another week or two.

And the monsoonal flow hasn't stopped yet in Denver either.

3. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Frontier was the most significantly impacted, followed by United, with Southwest also affected, though only 3 of their planes were damaged. Because it was a large percentage of Frontier's fleet, their operations will be most impacted over the longest duration it's expected.

4. iluv2fly
    Original Member

iluv2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I checked in at GS last week at ORD, they told me that over 40 planes were damaged at DEN during the storm.

5. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Friend was stuck 24 hours waiting for a Frontier flight out of DEN, even though I counseled to ask to be put on another airline. Customer Service lines were 3+ hours long so she opted to just wait out her time.

DEN always has weather trouble, avoid it at most costs! Stapleton was at least closer to the mtns and avoided some of this hassle that DIA has now. I'm surprised tornados aren't a bigger issue out there.

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? DFW, IAH, ORD, SFO have far more weather delays than DEN.

sobore, viguera and Ygor like this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Denver does have their fair share of thunderstorm-related issues and the odd day where snow REALLY affects schedules. But Denver doesn't have the amount of flights coming in and out of the airport as other hubs that have many more flights.

It takes so little to get San Francisco completely messed up, that's the tip of the iceberg when comparing weather-related issues.

8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year, Denver was the 10th busiest airport in the world (and 5th busiest in the US), well ahead of IAH and SFO in terms of passenger numbers, and just slightly below DFW...so I don't think the amount of flights has anything to do with it. I think runway configuration (six long, non-overlapping runways) is more of an explanation.

BurBunny likes this.
  9. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Duct tape should get-er dun!!!