Denver family stranded after passport denied because of crease

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Feb 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-de...-of-damaged-passport-20120221,0,5442377.story

A Denver family was supposed to be in Belize this week enjoying a beach getaway with their loved ones.
    Instead, they’re in a hotel room in Dallas, TX because an American Airlines official there claimed they had a mutilated passport.

“We started at Denver International Airport, where we checked in and all our passports were checked very thoroughly,” said Kyle Gosnell.
    Gosnell, his wife Dana, and their young son, Kye, received boarding passes all the way through to Belize City.
    But in Dallas, they hit a roadblock. “They took a look at our passports and said that my passport was mutilated, therefore I wasn’t able to fly,” Gosnell said.

http://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-de...-of-damaged-passport-20120221,0,5442377.story

deant, Gargoyle, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a reality that people have to keep in mind. Evaluating whether or not documents are valid/suitable for travel is subject to human interpretation and different GA's may view possible damage different.

Immigration can be a very touchy issue -- I witnessed some UK border agents get very intense with some people trying to enter the UK this morning. From what I've seen, any suspicion of an altered/damaged passport would lead to further questioning or denial of entry/travel.

3. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember a few years ago travelling with my passport that had the clear page with the photo in it, completely detached. I kept glueing it up to keep my photo in and they didn't like it much at LHR. They kept telling me that that was the last time they'd accept it. Got it replaced a few months later.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Those links don't work anymore....

Gargoyle, rwoman and sobore like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks DD, new site has been linked to original post.

rwoman and DestinationDavid like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

Feel bad for the family but it seems little a lot of fuss about something small overall. Whether a passport is valid for travel in terms of its physical condition is always going to be a visual analysis decision by each agent that encounters it. Also, I don't get the over-dramatic headline claiming they are being "stranded". AA is putting them up in a hotel and it doesn't make any reference to them being unable to obtain or afford transit home. It should read "Denver family disappointed with American Airlines passport evaluation technique."

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with you on the headline. I wonder if AA is receptive to having the condition of your passport evaluated electronically. So if I have a cut, crease, wrinkle on my passport that could be viewed as tampering, can I have the airline PASS / FAIL it say a few weeks before my flight? That way I can take steps to getting a replacement prior to my day of travel.

kyunbit and rwoman like this.
  8. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think "Denver family delayed at airport whilst airport provides food and lodging" probably isn't the headline grabbing message that they want to put out. :)

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You have to earn that ad revenue some how.... ;)

LETTERBOY, rwoman and effseeoh like this.
  10. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure the newspaper asked "aren't you on insulin? pregnant? peanut allergy? Anything!?"

LETTERBOY, sobore and rwoman like this.
  11. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    My last passport was pretty beat up, with a crease through the picture page, a big bubble underneath. If I didn't know myself, I'd think it had been altered. There were several countries my husband and I visited where I got lots of extra scrutiny because of it. Finally, after getting extra love from the US CBP on re-entry, I decided to get a new one...

LETTERBOY, sobore and rwoman like this.
  12. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Religious affiliation? Do you wear a diaper? Treckie? :D

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you fat? Did you wear what might be deemed revealing or offensive clothing? When did you last take a shower?

LETTERBOY and sobore like this.
  14. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this day and age, it's ludicrous that anyone depends on the documentation you offer anyway. Ok it's good to identify the unique ID that would allow them to lookup your record, but really should they depend on a document that you voluntarily present any more?

15. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are probably missing the point that are losing precious vacation days!

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I haven't missed any point. :confused: I started off by saying I felt bad for them.

Missing out on a vacation is sad, frustrating, maddening, etc.... but it's not stranded, especially when the airline is putting you up and feeding you. ;)

17. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    true

18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I missed the part where the article said AA was feeding them.

"To be halted or struck by a difficult situation" is the definition of stranded.

They were stranded, and it was courtesy of American Airlines.

19. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last passport looked much worse than that one, and the only place they even asked me about it was in TLV (not surprisingly). I explained to them that I had kept it in my back pocket during some very hot days, and that I sweat a lot. They shrugged at me, and let me through.

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a fan of the "let's break out the dictionary" approach. Based on this text book definition, people are "stranded" left and right across the globe at all times of the day. Being "struck by a difficult situation" can be applied to almost anything. For example I'm stranded right now due to a technical glitch in an online job application. :confused:

I think it's clear the news agency was reaching a bit with the use of "stranded". When it comes to travel we use that word to convey a level of helplessness and inability to change that situation without intervention from an outside force. From what I can read, they weren't stuck in DFW with no resources to get shelter, food, and a way home. They're just upset about losing a vacation and are waiting for their flight home or are trying to convince AA to let them go. Where's the section where they comment about not being able to get back to Denver or having a bed to sleep in that night? It's not there. Just commentary from the family about how disappointed they are not to be going on the trip and with AA policy. All understandable. But not stranded.

I assumed that since AA was putting them up in a hotel, they probably gave them the standard "here's a hotel and a meal voucher" that most people get from airlines, but you're correct, it's not specifically listed here.

I'd also argue that the "courtesy" of the situation was due to the damaged/bent passport, not AA. They get stuck with the bill if the father was denied entry into Belize, so they have to be cautious about who they let on. If the passport appears tampered with, no go. Does this reach that level? I dunno, the video just shows the father flipping through 1 or 2 pages. Not quite sure what section AA had a problem with.

Overall, a bad string of events for the family. Still, odd word choice by the news agency IMHO. :)

21. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My passport is "fine" it just happens to show me 100 pounds heavier and with a full beard. It usually wasn't a problem I pointed at my wife and they nod, but they didn't want to let me OUT of Vietnam. Rather annoying ...